PDA

View Full Version : Any successful airbrush repair

Chargedx
09-13-2003, 03:45 PM
Hello

I have a few scratches (basecoat/clearcoat finish) I would like to repair using an airbrush; similar to the ones used in the hobby field.

Any one have any luck repairing small scratches with this type of airbrush.

Has anyone used the blend method from paintscratch.com? What was the outcome.

Would the paint from the local dealership be the way to get fresh paint. Does auto body shop lacquer thin this paint to go through the airbrush.

Thanks

Accumulator
09-14-2003, 11:17 AM
Rain-On- I used an airbrush for years when I was into plastic modelling (at a fairly serious level). This time overlapped my getting into cars. *IMO* airbrushes just aren`t the way to go for scratch repair. *I* could never get *metallic* autopaint to flow through mine (a single-action Paasche- sp?, with fine and medium tips) properly. Other automotive laquers/enamels WILL flow if you thin them properly, but *I* still don`t think it`s the right tool for the job. Just my opinion, feel free to try proving me wrong :) *IF* you already have the airbrush and want to experiment, it MIGHT be a neat project, but I wouldn`t advise you to start out working on the hood of your car ;)

Yes, I get MY touch-up paint from the paint/body shops I patronize. The one at your dealership should have the paint you need and will probably give it to you for free (and advise you on thinner). The "touch up paints" in little bottles are MUCH too thick to spray withou considerable thinning.