PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting some PoorBoys

Pages : 1 [2]

imported_memnuts
09-13-2003, 03:05 PM
If mega-month durability is your main objective verses the look you are seeking, than a polymer sealant is your product. I am a hobbist that constantly detail my driven vehicles. So anything that last beyond a month is a worthless feature to me. Appearance of the finish is my main objective. EX works great on my daily driven Ls400 where Zaino is my protectant of choice ( presently) for my Z28. As stated before I am extremely pleased with both products.

Berrier
09-13-2003, 03:22 PM
Well in the summer time I am like you I wax all the time and longevity isnt a concern but what I am worried about is december january and febuary when my detailing comes to a hault due to the weather. I dont have a garage and the truck is kept outside here in PA.

vmunoz
09-13-2003, 03:23 PM
I agree with blkZ28Conv. I use the EX for what it does to the shine of my car. Between EX and Final Detail spray, my car looks better than I`ve seen. I rarely go 4-6 weeks without wanting to put another coat so I can`t comment on durability. Products like Zaino and Klasse have the reputation of being 2 of the more durable products available, whereas there have been pros and cons on EX`s durability.

Anyway, hope this helps and good luck with your decision making. :wavey

V...

imported_memnuts
09-13-2003, 05:33 PM
Zaino and Klasse have the reputation for survival in that type of weather (winter) and storage conditions. I can only speak for Zaino`s short term endurance and excellent appearance. I think this will be EX`s first winter and I will give my results next spring even though I doubt that I will go over 1 month without rejuveniating my protection on the LS. We normally have very mild winters and I have plenty of garage space for detailing. :wavey

imported_memnuts
09-13-2003, 05:35 PM
Looks like vmunoz has an echo. :o

Berrier
09-13-2003, 05:47 PM
Well I need the durability factor for winter. My vehicle is kept outside 24/7 and will probably have to go 3 - 4 months with very very very little detailing. Maybe a trip to the car wash to get the salt off but thats about it.

Guess it will be Kasse for me. Thanks guys

ernman
09-13-2003, 08:52 PM
That`s the combo (the klasse twins) that I decided to go with on my car that is outside 24/7. They look great, I am going on two months and the water still beads great and the bugs come off the bumper so easy when you wash it.

Then on my wifes car (which is in the garage) I used Pro Polish and EX, The EX seems nice, but I wasn`t impressed with the PP, I think that I should have went with SSR1. I heard that is easier to use.

So anywho, I think the twins are the correct choice for a car that is outside 24/7, but next on the wifes car is VM.

GoodnClean
09-13-2003, 10:10 PM
Yeah I agree, that if you`re really concerned about the durability in the winter months Klasse is a definately safety. I`ve never tried it, but I trust what I read here.

I have had great durability with EX, but it hasn`t been winter here yet. In truth, I`m considering some SG for the coming winter at least on the Explorer if not on the Lexus, because the winter this year is supposed to be really bad here. If its really bad I wouldnt wind up driving the Lexus much anyway.

Berrier
09-13-2003, 10:14 PM
If your gonna have a bad one DC then I am gonna get hammered here on Lake Erie. Maybe I better build a garage...lol

weegee
09-15-2003, 01:38 PM
I tried EX for the first time this weekend. Impressions:

I layered 3 coats about over 72 hours. I will be topping with S100 tonight or tomorrow to finish. I haven`t gotten out in the sun yet because I`ve been working on it in the garage, but I can tell it`s going to sparkle.

I was a little disappointed after the first coat because it seemed to dull the GEPC a tad bit. But with the 2nd coat, the shine came back. I didn`t see too much improvement with the 3rd coat, so next time I`ll probably stick with 2 coats. I imagine the S100 is going to kick it up even more.

EX doesn`t go on as easy as a paste wax, but it does go on pretty easy (best with foam pad). I found it hard to apply a thin coat because it hazes pretty quickly. So because it was a bit thicker, it was a little tougher to buff out. But not a big deal by any means.

One thing I did notice right off the bat was dust repellent. My old routine of Blitz Wax used to lure in dust. The EX seemed to help tremendously there in my dusty garage.

Anyway, overall, I`m happy with the product. I can`t attest to durability because it`s my first time using. I`m a chronic detailer, so durability isn`t as big of a concern for me as is look. That`s why I also switched from Blitz to S100. My plan is to top with S100 every few weeks and QD with 1G Show Off after every wash. In a few months, I`ll strip everything off and start over.

biff
09-15-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by RottenDog

is it highly overated? I know I posted a question like this over at another site and I got bombed with PM`s from several people that this is the best thing since sunshine. EX

Keep in mind that the "other site" is sponsored by Poorboys, so take the raves with the appropriate skepticism.

;)

It probably wouldn`t hurt to try some yourself and see what you think. Personally, I`m going to try something that`s available locally for the winter; Meg`s #20, (I`m not going to waste $ trying to get Poorboy`s across the border, and Zaino`s just too much $$ and effort for me)

GoodnClean
09-15-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by weegee

I tried EX for the first time this weekend. Impressions:

I was a little disappointed after the first coat because it seemed to dull the GEPC a tad bit. But with the 2nd coat, the shine came back. I didn`t see too much improvement with the 3rd coat, so next time I`ll probably stick with 2 coats. I imagine the S100 is going to kick it up even more.

Yep, I also was dissapointed in the first coat, but found the second added the greatest difference. I`d go ahead and do a third though, just that much more protection.

weegee
09-15-2003, 08:31 PM
How many coats do you use GoodnClean? Do you then let those coats ride till your next detail routine or do you EX every now and then to keep up the protection?

GoodnClean
09-15-2003, 08:52 PM
I`m at three on the Lexus and still that one lone layer on the Explorer. I got the Explorer washed yesterday and just now I think the EX is starting to give out, its been since May on one coat, and automatic washed every two weeks (a cloth tunnel) so it hung in there just fine. It still beads but I dont have as much of that slickness to the paint, time for another coat.

I`m happy with how the Lexus looks now, so I probably will touch it up from time to time with another coat of the EX just to keep it good and smooth. Its so easy to put on and buff off that it kinda works with the wash cycle. I wash the car and dry it well, put a coat of EX on and let it set up while I do the windows, dress the tires and the wheel wells, polish the wood on the inside and such, then just buff it off and it finishes out the wash routine. I washed it yesterday and would have done this (would have been the 4th coat) but I had damage to the rear bumper I was removing instead.