PDA

View Full Version : newbie w/ detailing procedure Q`s

Pages : [1] 2

OKCstanger
09-12-2003, 04:11 PM
first off, fantastic site! i`ve simply been searching around and soaking in as much info as possible for the past few days, and I think I`m ready to begin my quest for a kiss-*** shine! :D

I have a 2002 Mustang GT, black, with a fair amount of swirl marks, thanks to an idiotic move on my part during her first washing. here is my plan for this weekend, feel free to add/subtract/change anything.

1. go by the local harley shop, grab some s100 shampoo.

2. obviously, wash my baby.

3. clay bar! live in apartments, close to Tinker Air Force Base, so I`m sure there`s lots of stuff to take off.

4. #9 by hand.

5. #26 by hand.

now for some questions.

Q1. should i was again after the claying or #9? dunno if either leave a residue that shouldn`t stay under the wax...

Q2. for some of the deeper scratches, would you recommend a product like 3M SMR, and where would that fit into the routine?

Q3. would it be safer to grab a different wash sponge/mitt for the painted wheels. i`m sure brake dust does wonders on paint...

Q4. i thought i read where claying the windows is advisable; true or was i dreaming?

Q5. black cars look spectacular! when will they make them easier to keep clean!?! :p

that`s all i can think of for now. love the site, and I appreciate any and all help the fantastic people here can provide.

imported_Tony
09-12-2003, 04:24 PM
I always wash my wheels first. I do not want water sitting on my car drying while I wash the wheels. Never wash hot wheels. It is good to clay before you polish so that you dont rub dirt into the paint and the slick surface after claying makes it easiesr to polish. Trying to remove swirls by hand is hard work but do a search on removing swirls by hand for more infor.

good luck and welcome

Yes besure to change your sponge and rinse your bucket after washing the wheels. Use the two bucket method for washing, one with soap and the other to rinse your sponge so that you are not washing with dirty water.

George Wax
09-12-2003, 04:29 PM
Your step`s 1 thru 5 are great..Remember, with number 9 work product into paint surface by hand until nearly dry and remove with micro-fiber or terry towel..After polish step..apply one or two thin coat`s of #26 and let dry to a haze and remove with micro-fiber or terry cloth..You are on the right track..Make sure you do a final pass with your favorite QD after all the polishing and waxing in done to remove any smudge`s fingerprint`s excess product..Good product choice you will be happy with the result`s..

George Wax
09-12-2003, 04:31 PM
I would wash again after claying...If you need to use a strong paint cleaner use either Scratch X or M-83-32 Dual Action Cleaner Polish in the Body Shop Professional line.. You can also clay your window`s..Yes grab a seperate wash sponge for your wheel`s..

George Wax
09-12-2003, 04:34 PM
Two bucket method work`s great..

OKCstanger
09-12-2003, 04:49 PM
thanks for all the replies, you guys are great!

okay, so wash again after claying...gotcha.

how are the MF towels in places such as pep boys, autozone? they run from $2.50 to $4.00, brands i`ve never heard of to one`s like turtle wax. is the quality on par to what i should use? i worry about the stitching. any advise?

George Wax
09-12-2003, 04:52 PM
Get the Turtle Wax one`s they will work fine..wash them first.. However, the Meguiar`s micro-fiber wipe`s can be found at Kragen Auto Part`s..

topnotchtouch
09-12-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by OKCstanger

first off, fantastic site! i`ve simply been searching around and soaking in as much info as possible for the past few days, and I think I`m ready to begin my quest for a kiss-*** shine! :D

I have a 2002 Mustang GT, black, with a fair amount of swirl marks, thanks to an idiotic move on my part during her first washing. here is my plan for this weekend, feel free to add/subtract/change anything.

Welcome, great to see a fellow `Stang driver here :)

1. go by the local harley shop, grab some s100 shampoo.

2. obviously, wash my baby.

3. clay bar! live in apartments, close to Tinker Air Force Base, so I`m sure there`s lots of stuff to take off.

4. #9 by hand.

5. #26 by hand.

One thing you might want to do is add a step 4.5. I usually use a glaze under my wax just to add some extra pop and it helps to fill in any imperfections you weren`t able to remove. For that you can use either Meguiars #7 show car glaze or Meguiars #81 hand polish. Otherwise your process sounds just fine. Don`t worry if #9 doesn`t work on the first pass, depending on the surface problems it may take more than one pass to remove stubborn problems.

now for some questions.

Q1. should i was again after the claying or #9? dunno if either leave a residue that shouldn`t stay under the wax...

The only thing that will be left behind are oils that will actually help with the shine. They are fillers that will actually help to hide any imperfections that you couldn`t remove.

Q2. for some of the deeper scratches, would you recommend a product like 3M SMR, and where would that fit into the routine?

With that black paint you might even consider investing in a dual action polisher like the Porter Cable unit. You can find more information about it HERE (http://www.properautocare.com/porcabpolac.html) .

Q3. would it be safer to grab a different wash sponge/mitt for the painted wheels. i`m sure brake dust does wonders on paint...

I usually use an old wash mit for wheels and wheel wells and the new one for the paint. Once the new one gets old it moves on to wheel duty and I buy a new one for the paint and so on and so on. I really like sheepskin washmits, softest thing going.

Q4. i thought i read where claying the windows is advisable; true or was i dreaming?

No reason you can`t.

Q5. black cars look spectacular! when will they make them easier to keep clean!?! :p

Still favor Gimme a ticket Red ;)

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/2760floridastang.jpg

that`s all i can think of for now. love the site, and I appreciate any and all help the fantastic people here can provide.

OKCstanger
09-12-2003, 05:24 PM
nice car Bob! i`ve seen you over on corral (frequent lurker), which is what directed me to this site. i love the sexy-ness of red, but there`s just something about the powerful, agressive look of a black vehicle.

back on subject, i`d love to have the money for a PC, but i dont. one of the many things i`ve gotta live without (like that heart transplant...sigh...). So i should consider adding some #7 after the #9? and i shouldnt be surprised if i`ve gotta apply the #9 a couple times?

also, what should be the routine for maintenance? wash every with followed by some QD? should i repeat the polish/wax procedure monthly? or simply wax monthly and polish as needed?

jeez, just when you feel like you`ve got things strait, you realize there`s more you left out and yer all confused again!

George Wax
09-12-2003, 05:38 PM
BTW:...I also own a 1999 Ford Mustang Cobra..Coupe..#910 out of 4040..400 Rearwheel horsepower..can I say Boost..Boost..Boost...

topnotchtouch
09-12-2003, 05:50 PM

nice car Bob! i`ve seen you over on corral (frequent lurker), which is what directed me to this site. i love the sexy-ness of red, but there`s just something about the powerful, agressive look of a black vehicle.

back on subject, i`d love to have the money for a PC, but i dont. one of the many things i`ve gotta live without (like that heart transplant...sigh...). So i should consider adding some #7 after the #9? and i shouldnt be surprised if i`ve gotta apply the #9 a couple times?

also, what should be the routine for maintenance? wash every with followed by some QD? should i repeat the polish/wax procedure monthly? or simply wax monthly and polish as needed?

jeez, just when you feel like you`ve got things strait, you realize there`s more you left out and yer all confused again!

Think of it as steps. #9 is a surface prep product. It`s sole purpose is to remove surface defects. #7 is a glaze which is just a forumaltion of oils that are desinged to fill in imprefections and leave a perfectly smooth surface to apply wax to. #26 is your protectant to seal it all in.

The proper order is #9 to remove defects, #7 to smooth over anything left behind by #9 and finally #26 to seal it all in and protect the paint.

For regular maintenance I usually use Meguiars Quik Detailer or Quik Wax. The Quik Detailer is good for dust, bird dropping and water marks. I use Quick Wax whenever I want to boost the protection. Make sure you use a microfiber towel with these products.

weegee
09-12-2003, 06:22 PM
your routine is good if your car is in good shape. Take it from another black car owner, you can`t remove noticeable swirls by hand. Well, let me say that again. You can hide them and you can remove them, MAYBE, over several polish routines. But your arm will probably fall off.

If you want to do the job right, get a PC. Then use it with #9 or preferably SMR. As mentioned above, I would follow with #7, IHG or GEPC to bring out further shine.

Otherwise, your routine is fine. What you`re going to end up with is a great shine, but as soon as you get out into the sun or maybe after a wash or two, you`ll have a great shine with swirl marks. Cursed is the life of a black car owner.

topnotchtouch
09-12-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by weegee

your routine is good if your car is in good shape. Take it from another black car owner, you can`t remove noticeable swirls by hand. Well, let me say that again. You can hide them and you can remove them, MAYBE, over several polish routines. But your arm will probably fall off.

If you want to do the job right, get a PC. Then use it with #9 or preferably SMR. As mentioned above, I would follow with #7, IHG or GEPC to bring out further shine.

Otherwise, your routine is fine. What you`re going to end up with is a great shine, but as soon as you get out into the sun or maybe after a wash or two, you`ll have a great shine with swirl marks. Cursed is the life of a black car owner.

All of those products #7, IHG or GEPC should not be left exposed to the elements, they need to be topped by a wax. Glazes are not designed to offer any protection, the oils are there to fill in imperfections and to provide extra gloss. Once they are topped they will last as long as the wax used to top them does.

OKCstanger
09-12-2003, 06:39 PM
bob,

thanks for your explanation. you`ve really helped straiten things out for me. i`d like to get this into a monthly routine. next summer i`d like to join my girlfriend`s father in car shows. i did one this past spring and had a blast, but that`s for a different post i guess...:)

topnotchtouch
09-12-2003, 06:44 PM

bob,

thanks for your explanation. you`ve really helped straiten things out for me. i`d like to get this into a monthly routine. next summer i`d like to join my girlfriend`s father in car shows. i did one this past spring and had a blast, but that`s for a different post i guess...:)

No problemo glad I could help. Just to throw a wrench in there you might also want to try Meguiars #20 polymer sealant. You can use it in place of #26 or add it in between #7 and #26. Below is a pic of my roof that I did with #7 and #20 on top.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/2760roof.jpg

Lastly if you are going to be doing car shows I would really think about saving up for the Porter Cable it will make your life sooooooo much easier and save your arms and back in the process ;)