PDA

View Full Version : ClearCoat Ripples

wmaw
09-12-2003, 08:40 AM
Since ClearCoat is the finish most used on cars today, I have noticed that not all ClearCoats look the same. On my black Benz the ClearCoat has a slight ripple when view in sunlight, but other model don`t seem to have this. Given that this is caused when applied, is there a way to remove it, ie. waxes, buffing, power tools, etc.

Wayne

imported_chpsk8
09-12-2003, 08:54 AM
It`s called orange peel, and good luck getting rid of it. It is proof of a poor paint job. YOu could go to a body shop and see if they could sand/reapply. Depends on you wallet

mlebarron
09-12-2003, 09:19 AM
I believe it`s not really the clearcoat, it`s the paint itself.

Yes, what you`re talking about is probably the "orange peel" effect so often mentioned here... unless you mean ripples like on a pond (more "wavey")... then that`s not your typical orange peel and someone screwed up.

got a camera?

:showpics

tguil
09-12-2003, 09:29 AM
I`ve had an ongoing "hassle" with my body shop about the ripples and orange peel that were put in the door of my black Dodge Ram when they cleared the whole door after making a minor spot repair nowhere close to where I now have orange peel and ripples. I`ve "messed" with this for over six weeks. The door has been cleared twice. Neither time did they sand the previous finish flat; they just scuffed it. The truck goes in at the end of the month for the third time. This time it will be sanded flat.

From what I can tell from information I have received on other forums. The painter screwed up when he applied the clear the first time.

Tom :cool:

wmaw
09-12-2003, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the input, I was afraid that was the answer.

Wayne

chiselmonkey
09-14-2003, 05:56 PM
why not just wet sand it and buff it out. that is how we get rid off orange peel in the body shop i work at.

Jr

tguil
09-14-2003, 08:14 PM
That is a darned good question. I`ve gone over this several times with Mike Phillips and 2hotford. I think that with careful wetsanding the techs at my body shop could accomplish a pretty close match to the factory peel. For some reason they are afraid to take on the job. They say that wet sanding will make the door panel less of a match because after wetsanding and buffing, the panel "will be like glass". Sure.

I`m pretty sure the peel could be taken out, but I am not sure of the ripples. I`m leaving the truck with them for as long as they need it. My request to them is "just fix it". It`s a reputable shop. I trust them to do it right this time.

Most of what I have read on all kinds of forums states that wet sanding and polishing a urethane finish after painting is a pretty common practice.

I`ve been a car nut for 45 years and this is the first time that I have had a major problem with orange peel. Back in the 60`s and 70`s, it was not a problem. Most repairs were done with acrylic laquer. It was common practice then to shoot the paint, let it dry and compound the finish with a buffer. It looked great until it cracked about a year later.

Tom :cool: