PDA

View Full Version : Need insurance/windshield help

TA373
09-10-2003, 06:17 PM
Hey guys, I was taking my wiper blades off today (after cleaning the windshield...) and one of the arms smashed into the windshield, cracking it.

My deductible is 500.

Should I lower the deductible and then report the busted windshield? Will they red flag something like that?

I spoke with my insurance co. (Progressive) and they said that it would raise my coverage price by only $11 for my 6 month period. I told them I was thinking about raising it, since I was going to be driving a bit more out of state...

My car doesn`t need to be inspected for a while (another year) and I think that if I changed my comprehensive deductible I`d be all set.

Can anyone give me some info? By the way, comprehensive in RI, doesn`t cover windshields.

m. :(

TA373
09-10-2003, 07:31 PM
Please guys, I need some advice...

m.:(

imported_FCD08
09-10-2003, 07:54 PM
If the crack has NOT had any water in it or on it and it is a new crack then it can be repaired. We do this everyday. Figure around $70.00 for a 12 inch crack.

TA373
09-10-2003, 08:25 PM
There has been no water on the crack, but it`s pretty big.

What would need to be done to repair?

It`s a dime sized crater, with spiderwebbing, and one long (12") crack coming out from center...

m.

Jngrbrdman
09-10-2003, 08:32 PM
It would be something that you would need to go to a pro in order to get it fixed. They have DIY rock chip repair kits. Cracks are a different animal. If you lower your deductible on something like that then they are going to send someone out to inspect the vehicle to make sure you didn`t just total it or something. With a company like Progressive, who has people all over the place out and about, you can just about expect them to come out and inspect it before they reduce your deductible. There is also a minimum amount of time before you can make a claim after reducing your deductible too. I think its like 90 days out here in Utah. I need to do the same thing so I can get my windshield replaced one of these days. Its not cracked or anything, but I could use a new one.

Shoot NY Detailer a PM about this. He is (or at least he was. I assume he still is) an insurance adjuster. He would have more info about it than I do.

kbshadow
09-10-2003, 09:09 PM
I have $500 deductable also but on glass its under comprehensive and its $100, check your policy to make sure your glass is not less.

Here most glass companies will absorbe the deductable, check the phone book yellow pages and see if any do it there.

Hope this helps.

Bob

imported_FCD08
09-10-2003, 09:15 PM
TA473,

The repair is pretty simle but is best left to someone whom does this for a living. The sooner it gets repaired the better looking the results. Stay away from the DIY kits from Wal-Mart, and Auto-Zone.

We do this for a living and most insurance companies will gladly waive the deductable to have the damage fixed. The only problem is if it is in the ACUTE area of the glass. Directly in the driver`s line of vision.

The 12 inch crack is not a problem for a good glass repair company.

Hope this helps.