PDA

View Full Version : questions about a buffer

DrGonzo
09-10-2003, 01:25 PM
I stopped by Lowes today and saw a buffer that caught my eye. It`s a Porter Cable 6 inch Sander/Polisher. I think the box said it was a 6.5 amp model, and it came with one polishing pad. The price was 109.95. (can`t remember the model # btw)

Would this be a quality buffer, and does the price sound reasonable? Also, where could i get the velcro backed pads that i`ve heard so much about? TIA for any help.

LOTA OT
09-10-2003, 03:01 PM
Yup, that`s the PC everyone here refers to. That`s the 7336 model (its a 3.5 amp model), the same one I got. You`ll need to buy a velcro backing plate around for $12 and some pads and you`ll be all set. Try Top of the Line for supplies.

You can get pretty much the same thing from coastal tools with the backing plate for $119.

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pr7424.htm?L+coastest+zsvw5492ffd86ed8+1063282991

Michael

DrGonzo
09-10-2003, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the help. I guess next week`s pay check is going to be gone quicker than i thought. :D

Another quick question: Since its random orbit the risk of burning paint is pretty low, right?

FredBro
09-10-2003, 05:47 PM
That`s right DrGonzo! !:up

Burning is not going to be a problem because of the random orbit action of the pad.

I just purchased my Porter Cable 7336SP from Lowe`s for $109.00 I got the hook and loop pad for it from a local auto body supply shop (I`m an instant gratification kind of guy!) along with Meguiar`s Swirl Remover (#9) and Show Car Glaze (#7).

I also bought 4 T-8 fluorescent shop lights from Home Depot for $6.50 each and I`ll install them in the garage tonight.

Gonna play tonight!!

:usa

chris0626
09-10-2003, 11:08 PM
Yep, you found it! Buy that puppy!! :up

And, as others have said, about the only way it can damage your car`s paint is if you drop the buffer on it.

Somebody else gave you the URL for CMA`s pads. I also strongly recommend Top of the Line. To me, it seemed all their prices and shipping costs were cheaper than TOL. Like your momma taught you (I hope): comparison shopping rules!

Deanski
09-11-2003, 04:50 AM
DrGonzo,

Oh yea, you WILL burn through that paycheck quickly at first, but it gets better!

Anyway, here is some more info you should read on your new PC.

Beginners guide to the PC (http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/forum.php?postid=1430487&page=1)

Regards,

Deanski

xenangel
09-11-2003, 05:41 AM
Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but i would like to ask about the makita9227c? Will it be my money`s worth? and that`s the only polisher available to be here.

It has a velcro backing plate and is about 7", plus i have meg`s pads as well.

Any comments?

DrGonzo
09-11-2003, 09:36 PM
Deanski- Thanks, that guide answered a lot of questions.

A big thanks to everyone else also. :)

mlebarron
09-11-2003, 09:43 PM
And, as others have said, about the only way it can damage your car`s paint is if you drop the buffer on it.

That`s not true! The PC CAN burn through paint. In the right places on your car with the right products it doesn`t take much effort either. Yes, it is very hard to do on a flat surface, where a rotary can easily, but it can be done...

I was asked in another thread to outline how I got my swirls out... I`ll add my info about where/how I burned the paint with pics to it as well (as soon as I post how I got them out :) )

Oh... where I burned through was on an edge... got down to metal... and it took off some of the painted on stripes on the side... I think the stripes are on top of the clearcoat (two small lines down the side on a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee)

JasonC8301
09-11-2003, 09:43 PM
Get it, not going to burn paint with the PC unless its like really soft/fresh or you use a sanding disc. (edit well as highlighted in the above post it can, but for most finishes its hard to burn it)

xenangel - I have a Makita 9227C and can say that its not a good first time machine unless you are very skillful and have lots of well *guts* to try it on you`r finish. Burning the paint with this machine is just too easy. One slip or lost of focus and so0mething bad is bound to happen. The Makita does produce that little extra edge in having a flawless finish. Its a double edged sword, if you know how to use it then you`ll get good results, if not, be prepared for a less than good job.

If you are first timer with a machine/buffer, get the Porter Cable DA.

mlebarron
09-11-2003, 09:47 PM
oh yeah... I did forget to mention... GET IT!! (I say it can burn through... but it`s REALLY hard to do... except for that one spot on my car apparently)

mlebarron
09-11-2003, 09:48 PM
oops... Jason beat me to saying it... I should learn to reload before I post again...

I was using a wool pad with PI-III RC when I did it

DrGonzo
09-11-2003, 10:49 PM
Yet another question: I only have two polishing products currently, Meg`s Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner and 3M PI-II Paste Rubbing Compound(Fine Cut) PN 39502.

I chose both of these products with plans on doing all of the work by hand. My question is, will these products work well with a PC or do i need to buy something to fill the gap between the two?

The Rubbing Compound seems to be very agressive while the Paint Cleaner seems to be very mild. Would an SMR effectively fill the gap between the two products?(im not planning on using all three at once, i just want a seperate product for different applications)