PDA

View Full Version : Clay bar storage

gearhead58
09-10-2003, 11:38 AM
Hi,

I just clayed my little miata with clay magic 100mg bar and was just wondering if I can store the clay for another use. It looks pretty dirty and scummy. If so how long can I store the bar for the next use and how many uses do people usually get from one clay magic 100mg bar.

Also I am looking for a place that sells just the 200mg bar with out the spray. Autozone only sells the kit.

Thanks in advance.

Here is picture of my miata clayed and Zaino`d.

Miata Zaino`d (http://photos.yahoo.com/accordlegend)

JoshABI
09-10-2003, 11:41 AM
Hey accord, If I have a clay bar that is still worth saving, I`ll put it in a ziplock bag with a squirt of clay lube to keep it moist and seal it up...Worked fine for me, but I`ve never waited more than a couple weeks before using the rest of it.

Gonzo
09-10-2003, 11:55 AM
Keep mine in the fridge in plastic food saver covered with plastic wrap.

Unsolicited advice. Cut a new clay bar into 1/3`s in case you drop it on the ground. If you do, it is history! You would then have 2 more chances to finish your claying project without a store trip.

Spilchy
09-10-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by StickKing1

Hey accord, If I have a clay bar that is still worth saving, I`ll put it in a ziplock bag with a squirt of clay lube to keep it moist and seal it up...Worked fine for me, but I`ve never waited more than a couple weeks before using the rest of it.

:xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs I agree, that`s what I do.

If clay is getting older, I use on the lower portion of bumpers and windows and reserve the newer clay for the body

Jcrawford
09-10-2003, 02:08 PM
woo boy that is a damn good job on the miata

LOTA OT
09-10-2003, 02:53 PM
If it looks dirty and scummy, toss it. As Gonzo said, cut it in thirds, if I`m just spot claying, I`ll cut it in fourths or even smaller. I tosss each piece after each use.

I use clay magic and just store it in a ziplock bag. I don`t spray any lube in there, depending on the clay and which lube, it could break down the clay. Just keep the air away from it and it should be fine.

Michael

Scott P
09-10-2003, 03:09 PM
An Altoids tin works well too for clay storage.

gearhead58
09-10-2003, 05:00 PM
How long do you normally store them after first use before it hardens up or changes composition?

andriver
09-10-2003, 05:44 PM
As long as the clay stays moist, it should last for a long time.

Pats300zx
09-10-2003, 06:27 PM
Rubbermaid Soap dish...or Tupperware :xyxthumbs