PDA

View Full Version : Project coming up in a few weeks

Gonzo
09-10-2003, 09:33 AM
I have a 2001 Red Lightning. On the hood I sanded down a touch-up glob (when I didn`t know any better) using 1800/2400/4000/8000 grit Micromesh sandpaper Then PC`ed the whole hood with DCAP and a 3M Final polish (name excapes me at the moment). One coat of AIO, wait 24 hours, then 3 coats of Klasse Glaze. Waited a week then 3 coats of Pinnacle Souveran. Wow - I impressed myself by getting 95% of existing scratches removed.

Going on a highway trip soon, but when I return, I want to do the whole truck with the DACP. Was reading about #9 on AutoGeek and it said it "rounds over and fills scratches". The question I have would using this be wasted effort if I topped it as above - won`t the AIO remove any fillers from the #9

I also have Menserna Intensive and Final - would these be better before the Klasse twins.

shaf
09-11-2003, 11:32 PM
I haven`t used #9, but I believe the "filling" properties are pretty mild anyway - don`t expect anything major from using it on scratches and anything really noticable. Really, you want to try to remove defects anyway, and multiple SG coats will fill a tiny amount as well.

I`m not up to speed on Menzerna stuff, but if they`re (supposedly) "fillerless" they are probably better for ensuring you actually remove the defects and not just hide them. Fillers and glazes are things that usually mesh better with carnauba jobs, not polymers that need pre-cleaning first.

2wheelsx2
09-12-2003, 12:47 AM
If #9 is like 3M SMR (haven`t used the newer #9 2.0), then it has a ton of fillers. I actually used it on a black Prelude when had the "holographic" rotary marks and thought I had got them out, and the car looked perfect...that is until the car was washed a couple of times, and they reappeared.

In my experience, #9 and SMR have more fillers than abrasives, and as Brian said, really work better with carnauba.

You`re better off using a product like DACP (or 3M`s equivalent - FI - II?) to really get them out.

The Mezerna stuff has been touted to be good, although I have no experience with them. Maybe others can chime in here.