PDA

View Full Version : Prepping car for detail work, taping etc.?

Tralfaz
09-09-2003, 04:25 PM
Question #1

Getting ready for detailing tonight and wanted to know if you guys are taping all exposed trim, moulding, plastic skirting etc. with tape before starting. I`m starting with DACP and the 7424 and don`t want to damage any of these areas. If so what tape are you using?

Question #2

I understand that you should not use any harsh compounds, glazes etc. to the plastic painted areas such as spoilers and skirting areas, if this is true what polish etc. do you use to make these areas come out looking as good as the metal painted surfaces that you spent compounding, polishing etc.

LouisanaJeeper
09-09-2003, 07:59 PM
1/2" Blue Masking Tape

If it`s clearcoated and painted like the body panels, I do the same process

shaf
09-09-2003, 08:34 PM
What he said. :)

I tend to tape up areas as I go. I don`t know why, it just makes the task seem like less of a chore. :p (BTW, that`s blue painter`s tape, but the green stuff is fine too.)

iceman
09-10-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by 4DSC

I tend to tape up areas as I go. I don`t know why, it just makes the task seem like less of a chore. :p (BTW, that`s blue painter`s tape, but the green stuff is fine too.)

And where, do tell, are you getting this tape the most inexpensive, Brian? I figure best to just ask you instead of checking it out myself since you`ve probably scoured the whole city for this already!:D

chris0626
09-10-2003, 12:49 AM
Iceman, I bet Brian will answer, but I see he`s offline right now, and you and I are online.

Maybe things are different in Canada, but here in the US, I still have never found what I consider a really "good" price on the blue tape we use for masking. I get mine at WalMart (cheapest, though not by much) or at places like Lowe`s and Home Depot or other hardware stores. So far, I haven`t found a decent generic/inexpensive version, dog-gone it!

Brian, please advice the Canadian nation tomorrow! A whole almost-continent is awaiting your counsel. :D

shaf
09-10-2003, 01:05 AM
:eek:

Umm.... I`m not too sure. :o I still have a few jobs left in my green roll of tape so it`s been a while since I last checked the pricing on these things. I think I might try the blue 3M version next time because it seems to be popular. I can`t remember if Wal-Mart carries the 3M version or not, but I believe Canadian Tire and Home Depot do. Some blue tapes are clones though.