PDA

View Full Version : Have a hard time removing compound residues with QD

chip douglas
09-07-2003, 09:32 PM
buffed my gf`s ride yesterday and forgot some spots with compound on em(on the pain actually), and God is it tough to get it off! It was 3M`s 5937 machine glaze, i`ve tried megs QD, it works but some of it still is on, i washed it and still it remains. It seems to go away after a wipe or two, once dry is re-appear.

Any suggestion aside MEGS QD ? Would mothers showtime be better at it ? Maybe concentrated car wash would cut it ?

Take care

Mark

mlebarron
09-07-2003, 09:45 PM
I took the PC with either a white or black pad and a bit more MG (just a little)... went over the spots quickly and immediately wiped off... seems to work well... although not sure if it`s the best solution, it works :)

jerry@robs
09-07-2003, 10:07 PM
first up... make sure you`re not using too much product, coz in most cases, compounds and polishes leave only miniscule amount of residue on the paint. If used correctly, most products will dry up and powderize or just cake up the pad... it shouldn`t be hard to remove loose, dry dust... but if the product isn`t broken down correctly, or if the user used too much, it`s like IHG drying on paint...

quite tough to remove.

chip douglas
09-07-2003, 10:56 PM
I sure didnt use too much product, but i think i know what my mistake is : i spritzed too much water on the pad(about 5 spritz) and spread the compound that was already on the area to be buffed with the machine off, but water made the stuff more fluid, and thus, not worked in compound flew every which way, this might explain why im having so much problem to remove it.

Bu this being said, any trick to get it off ? ;)

P.S. do you tilt the pad on flat surfaces ? Or you really keep it flat all the time ? Im kind surveying people here lol out of curiosity. Some say it s best to keep it flat, yet one cant keep it flat all the time as there are a lot of tight spots and recessed areas.............for instance on my gf`s car on on the top quarter, between the molding and a bodyline there s about six inches clearance, so my pad is 8 inches(3M`s polishing pad), so i cant really keep it flat cause, if i do so, im going to hit the bodyline + the curved part of the top panel(the curve leading to the window sill)...........you see what im driving at im sure.......feel free to comment here, you re quite welcome.

P.S. on curved area do you make couple of passes and actualy move with the curves ?

thanks a bunch :wavey

rstype
09-08-2003, 03:52 AM
I use a 50/50 alcohol/water spritzer to remove compound residues. It`s cost efficient, and unlike QD`s, it doesn`t smear or hide defects. It really helps make the paint a squeaky clean surface to observe at...

Accumulator
09-08-2003, 05:38 PM
Chip Douglas- In case you still haven`t got all the 05937 off, Klasse AIO removes it like magic. Not sure if AIO fits into your plans for the car, but when the 05937 just REFUSES to come off, AIO is the best thing *I`VE* found.

Gonzo
09-09-2003, 07:44 AM
BW said it all, alcohol & water 50/50

chip douglas
09-09-2003, 07:28 PM
tried the 50/50 alcohol/water and it works fine .....thanks ;)

jerry@robs
09-10-2003, 04:56 AM
Chip, I keep the pad flat in almost all cases except for tight vertical surfaces... I understand your ordeal now, it happened to me before when i was still using Meg Powercut as my compound and also with dacp, moisture isn`t a good combo with it.

As far as I can remember, i just spritz it with alcohol + water and rub moderately with an MF...