PDA

View Full Version : Care for New Black Car

Pages : [1] 2

CurtisS
08-30-2004, 01:16 PM
My Infiniti G35 Black is brand new. Just using griots car wash and Speed Shine so far. I now what to clean, Polish and protect to get that Deep/Wet glass look for my finish. I used Griots clay bar and Best of Show wax and the results were very good but Maybe they could be better. I would like some suggestions for my Car and color combo of my new black finish to achive the best results. I do most things by hand but can buy a PC if the results will be that much better. Thanks

JaredPointer
08-30-2004, 01:37 PM
The results will be better with a PC as will it be easier on you to do a complete detail on your car. A PC is a good investment and is relatively easy to learn. It will make detailing a lot easier and more enjoyable for you. :)

Bill D
08-30-2004, 01:43 PM
A PC has a much better chance of truly removing defects and enhancing the appearance of the paint than attempting by hand can do, also a major time/ache saver :)

membim
08-30-2004, 01:46 PM
Hi Curtis. I care my Black 330Ci so I know what you`ll be going through.

I do recommend getting a PC. It makes taking care of swirls and light scratches much easier and faster.

There are three products that I definitly recommend. Use Poorboy`s SSR1 with a polishing pad for light spider webbing and swirls every two months. On my wife`s silver TT, I only have to do that once a year. Welcome to black cars. The second product is either Clearkote`s Vanilla Moose or Poorboy`s Polish with Carnauba with a polishing or finishing pad. These products will give your car a great deep, wet look that is perfect for black. After polishing and glazing, you would need a final topper. Some here refer to it as an LSP. The choice is yours of wether or not to use a Caruauba wax or a sealant. My favorite waxes and sealants are Poorboys EX-P, EX, Natty Wax, Pinnacle Souveran, P21S Carnauba Wax, and Wolfgang Sealant.

All of the products that I`ve listed are much easier to use than the one`s you have, and I personally think will give you a better look.

Get some nice microfiber towels for buffing residues and use very light pressure careful not to induce micromarring.

GOOD LUCK!!! It`s not easy keeping a black daily driver in perfect condition. The beauty of black, though, is that you are greatly rewarded for doing so!

I hope I helped and have fun!

Beemerboy
08-30-2004, 01:46 PM
I concur on the orbital / PC. For black I use PB lineup and have been very happy with the results. The Wlfgang lineup is also very good

CurtisS
08-30-2004, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes Griots was not the easiest to use. What methods do you guys use to inspect your surface to see if you are happy with the results? i.e. lighting, magnifying lenses, angles etc.

ben54
08-30-2004, 02:29 PM
I concur on the PC. In addition to taking out swirls, sealants go on much thinner and more evenly than by hand. The PC cut down on smearing and streaking on my black G35, and the result was much better. I liked WG on black for a sealant. FMJ also works well on black.

Raven
08-30-2004, 02:42 PM
I use VM (applied by PC), topped with EX (applied by hand) on my black truck. IMO it leaves a vey wet and slick looking finsh with good durability.

ACE
08-31-2004, 05:54 AM
IMO, the PC is an absolute must on a black car. I would also recommend the Griots pads for starting out because there is absolutely no confusion on what to use, which is important when you`re starting out. Orange pad for polish, red for wax. Safe and foolproof. The Machine Polish 3 is an excellent choice for starters, but I agree that Poorboys SSR1 is easier. Don`t agonize about products right now. My advice is keep it simple. Get some SSR1 and EX or EX-P for protection. These products are excellent and EASY. Your goal is to get proficient at using the PC and you will soon learn what products achieve the results you want. Put EX on with the Griots red pad and it will blind you - guaranteed. The other thing is microfiber. Buy about 10-20 polishing cloths and 2 big blue drying towels. This is a must as microfiber is the best way to protect the finish from drying and polishing micro-scratches. The products are only your tools. It is your skill and dedication that determine your results. Keep reading and have fun.

CurtisS
08-31-2004, 09:09 AM
A few Clarifyers that missing from the Acronym list. What is VM, FMJ, WG. Thanks for all the info.

Beemerboy
08-31-2004, 09:26 AM
At the start of the forum there is a list but VM is Vanilla Moose, WG is Wolfgang Products FMJ can`t remember

JaredPointer
08-31-2004, 09:28 AM
FMJ is Full Molecular Jacket. ;)
VM is on the list, its just listed as CKVM. Mfg. name first.

CurtisS
08-31-2004, 10:53 AM
Can someone give me a quick Pros/Cons to Wax vs Sealant and which one does what. Thanks

Bill D
08-31-2004, 11:14 AM
Why not use both if you can`t decide. Sealant then topped by wax.

hammondc
08-31-2004, 01:37 PM
I just did my Brand new Toyota Tacoma. I used P21s Paint cleanser (non -abrasive) to remove all the packaging oils and sludge that comes free with new car. I followed with 2 coats of Klasse Sealant glaze, then did 2 coats of P21S concourse look wax. Used all microfiber towels, PC plisher and edge pads. You can go swimming in the paint now. Looks great. Most of all, enjoy doing it and take your time.