PDA

View Full Version : Grout/Tile brush for wheel cleaning?

imported_Aaron in Denver
09-05-2003, 10:59 AM
Hi all,

Been lurking for a couple of months now and have learned a ton. My wife thinks I`m a little over the top on car care since finding Autopia (but she admits that her car has never looked so good!).

I found a narrow brush at Lowe`s, labeled for grout cleaning. It has pretty stiff nylon bristles and a curved tip. It would seem perfect for getting into the narrow gaps on the wheels on our Passat.

I`m using the P21S/S100 wheel cleaner gel. Should I be using a soft brush to agitate the cleaner, or will I be okay using the grout brush? I don`t want to damage the clear coat on the wheel, but the car puts off a lot of brake dust and usually needs some scrubbing to get the wheels looking good. I`ll stick with using the sponge that came with the cleaner to get the easy to reach areas.

Any advice? :wavey

Aaron in Denver

Spilchy
09-05-2003, 11:13 AM
NO! Stiff+Brush+Wheel=Scratches!

Stay away from brushes if possible!

Simply spray the P21s and let sit, then use a wet sponge or wash mitt to agitate.

If they are realy dirty, you can gently use a soft toothbrush (they are labeled on the box).

Tip: wax your wheels when finished. They`ll look great! Future cleanups will be a breeze and you`ll only need car wash soap and water with a micrfiber towel. Also, less break dust accumulation while adding a layer of protection.

Many people here like to use AIO, Zaino, Mothers Wheel Polish, or Wheel Wax. Personally, I use wheel Wax and follow up with Collinite Insulator Wax. Depending on what you use, you can wax them every couple months if not sooner if you like.

I haven`t used wheel cleaner or a toothbrush or even a wash mitt in ages! I just use car wash soap and a KMart micro fiber!

SK2003TypeS
09-05-2003, 11:15 AM
A "Grout/Tile" Brush sounds a little too rough for my taste. I`d look for something made for a car.

I use a boar`s hair brush on my rims. (yes, I spent $20 on the thing) It`s very gentle on the rims. I clean my car very often, so the dirt doesn`t really get caked on too much where I have to really scrub them.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1002&SKU=92546

I have this too. Love the tire brush.

http://www.properautocare.com/erwheelbrus.html

Bill D
09-05-2003, 11:26 AM
I really like the OXO wheel brush, "feathered" bristles, does a very good job even when using plain car wash and water.

imported_Aaron in Denver
09-05-2003, 11:32 AM
For once I can give myself some credit for asking a question before doing something dumb. Ixnay on the grout brush.

Now I just need to find something to get in between the gaps on these wheels. They are a split-spoke design (I can`t think of what else to call it), and the gaps on the spokes are only maybe a quarter or half inch wide. Sure shows the brake dust badly, though.

The Oxo brush looks soft. Maybe a better option.

Thanks for the quick replies!

2wheelsx2
09-05-2003, 11:34 AM
Try cutting up a foam applicator to get at the gaps. Better yet, get some of those cheap foam paint brushes at a hardware store. I am sure that`ll do the job for you.

Bill D
09-05-2003, 11:35 AM
With an appropriate wheel cleaner, I think the OXO brush would work well. I`ve tackled some significant brake dust build up using it and it worked good, maybe need to make a few passes though.Benefit is no chance of marring the wheel.

Lowejackson
09-05-2003, 02:35 PM
It is a good idea to research new tools for helping you clean, the basic test for the brush you were looking at is, would you use it on the rest of the paintwork.

Thomasfl
09-05-2003, 02:46 PM
the OXO brush is nice, there are a few cheaper solutions if that is a problem.

Bill D
09-05-2003, 05:05 PM
Occasionally I have seen the OXO brush in wholesale warehouses like Costco--my latest one came from a similar club like that, and even in discount clothing/houseware store TJ Maxx--I think they would only have it in beginning of spring as a seasonable item though. If you track one down in a store like these, that`s the time to grab one.

Pats300zx
09-05-2003, 06:27 PM
Better yet, get some of those cheap foam paint brushes at a hardware store.

Man, I use these things for everything on my car. They are great for applying trim dressing and detailing the engine. I usually get them on sale at AC Moore (craft store) for 20 for $1.00.

imported_Dave Holmes
09-06-2003, 01:00 AM
It may be an option for you to try to clean them from behind when they get really dirty. I do this on my Maxima (if I don`t just remove the wheels one at a time). Car ramps are handy for this, as you do one end, then just swap (remember safety concerns when going under the car). Another benefit is that you get to see parts of the car you normally wouldn`t doing a wash, and will spot problems faster. The downside is that you may go overboard and start detailing your suspension and undercarriage (lots of time). It can also be hard to convince a wife that this level of cleanliness is necessary, so it`s preferable to do it while she`s not there :) .

Dave

MBZ 500E
09-06-2003, 11:02 AM
Griots sells a small detailing brush kit which includes a Boars Hair Brush (painted surfaces), a Nylon Brush (Undercarriage and engine plastics and non painted surfaces), a Brass Brush (Great for engine bay non painted metals) and a stainless brush (still haven`t found a use for this) all for $6.95.

The boars hair brush is perfect for small detailing jobs like your wheels. Make sure to clean the brush well after use, lurking brake dust can/will leave light scratches on paint.