PDA

View Full Version : How do I wash the top of this thing?

01GTB
08-30-2004, 02:05 AM
As mentioned in another thread here, I just purchased an F350 4X4 CrewCab. Polishing will be another thread all together, I just need to figure out how to wash it :-p Most of it isn`t that bad, but the roof is huge and way above my head. I figure I could do the back of the roof standing in the bed, but there is no way I am reaching the front and center. Even the windshield is a bit of a pain. I`ve heard mixed opinions on brushes, so I am staying away from them for now. I bought a "chenille mitt on a stick" at Advance Auto Parts, but the bonnet they use, isn`t very thick and I am not sure it will last too long.

Any suggestions on what to use to make this job easier. The easier it is, the more often I will wash it. :)

norahcrv
08-30-2004, 02:18 AM
A Step-Ladder? That`s what I have to use to wash the top of my CR-V. I`m vertically challenged @ 5`3" & have short arms to boot! I use a 4` step-ladder that I move around the V as I go. Haven`t found a better way, but would love any suggestions . . .
Norah

PS - I would definitely stay away from brushes & I`m not crazy about the "mitt on a stick" idea, either. I think you`d be looking for scratches/swirls with either of those.

PPS - Oh, I just remembered, I`ve seen steps that you can mount on your tires @ Pep Boys/AutoZone. I don`t know if they would help you or not, but they didn`t give me enough lift.

01GTB
08-30-2004, 02:36 AM
I`ve used a ladder on many a vehicle. But many moons ago, when I actually did this for a living, I had one incident that made me a little hesitant to use one now. I was doing a roof on a 1986 or 87 full sized Bronco for a customer when I reached a little too far and the ladder crashed into the truck :boohoo It hit a small piece of sheetmetal right behind the passenger door. Luckily the customer was more understanding than I would have been and simply let me take it somewhere to get it fixed. The Bronco was about a year old at the time and he never kept anything more than a couple of years anyway. I think that helps explain his understanding. That was one of about 3 detailing dissasters I had in the years I did this, but I`ll save the others for another time :naughty

Poorboy
08-30-2004, 07:24 AM
If you have doubts about ladders, then you`ll need to make a scaffold ....two aluminum ladders that bend in multi-directions and get a sturdy , thick piece of plywood for between them...

CharlesW
08-30-2004, 07:30 AM
Would one of the elevated platforms be tall enough?
I think a member uses one of them. Possibly AWD330.
I`ll do a search and see if I can find a link.

Charles

CharlesW
08-30-2004, 07:33 AM
This thread may help.

http://www.detailcity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3334&highlight=step

Charles

kimwallace
08-30-2004, 07:52 AM
I use a 4` fiberglass ladder. It is sturdier than the aluminum ones.
You do have to be careful. I slipped a couple years ago and banged my knee into the door of an suv. Fortunately the PDR guy came to my rescue and removed the dent.

EBPcivicsi
08-30-2004, 08:07 AM
I use the same platform mentioned in that thread. Costco has them (by a different brand) for about $21. I couldn`t do the roofs of SUV`s without one.

brwill2004
08-30-2004, 10:51 AM
Top of the Line carries a truck washing boar`s hair brush. It has a large boar`s hair brush mounted on a wooden pole. It is long enough to get the tops of trucks with ease.

01GTB
08-30-2004, 02:49 PM
That platform looks like it would be a big help. I might have to buy one of those :)

The Boar`s hair brush I have seen, I just haven`t heard much about them.

JaredPointer
08-30-2004, 03:51 PM
Will the boar`s hair brush scratch or mar like other brushes? Are these safe for weekly washings? I have never used one and am quite curious.

Boss_429
08-30-2004, 04:52 PM
01GTB,

You might want to consider one of these:

http://store.yahoo.com/tolae/telwasglov.html

I purchased a couple last winter. They come in handy washing my F150 SuperCrew 4X4. With the extension handle, I can stand on a two foot high footstool, and reach across the whole roof of my truck or tonneau cover. The mitt is a pretty decent sheepskin cover. I bought two, so that I can always have one clean one ready to go. I also used it for brushing off light snow during the winter.

I won`t be without one now, and will probably be getting a couple more soon.

01GTB
08-30-2004, 05:20 PM
That`s kinda similar to the thing I bought at Advance. It came with both a chenille and sheepskin-type bonnet. I couldn`t seem to find replacement bonnet though. I figured I could use it for a while until the mitts wear out. The shenille bonnet seems a little lacking, maybe I`ll try the sheepskin...I had almost forgot that it came in the box.

Keith