PDA

View Full Version : ClearKote Quick Shine Problem

SergC
09-04-2003, 12:12 AM
Hey Guys !

Several months ago I`ve bought 2 gallons of QS,and couple of days ago I`ve noticed,that the second gallon,which remains in concentrated form,started leaking:scared ...it did eat through the jar.

What could that be?Petro...,solvents, or just high concentration?

I`m really puzzled...I like QS,it does smear here and there,but over all, it`s almost as good as Z6,except for this...

Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Serg

Scott P
09-04-2003, 07:40 AM
QS is water based. I don`t know what could have caused the problem. Have you emailed Clearkote yet?

Scottwax
09-04-2003, 05:38 PM
Agreed. It is water based. You can drink it if you want. I second the motion to e-mail clearkote and have them replace it. I`ve never had a gallon jar of it do that, but I usually fill it immediately with distilled water.

Corey Bit Spank
09-04-2003, 07:21 PM
Isn`t latex paint water based? I wouldn`t drink latex paint.

Scottwax
09-04-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Corey Bit Spank

Isn`t latex paint water based? I wouldn`t drink latex paint.

:lol

What I mean is the ingredients are benign enough that they won`t hurt you. Clearkote puts a warning on the bottle anyway to cover their butt.

imported_RIC
09-05-2003, 09:22 PM
If the chemicals are benign why do you need a warning? "Cover their butt" from what?

If the ingredients can`t hurt you there is no reason to put a warning on stating that they can.

I would bet the solvents in concentrated form were the cause of the product eating through the container. I am basing this because QS has very good cleaning ability.

Scottwax
09-05-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by RIC

If the chemicals are benign why do you need a warning? "Cover their butt" from what?

If the ingredients can`t hurt you there is no reason to put a warning on stating that they can.

I would bet the solvents in concentrated form were the cause of the product eating through the container. I am basing this because QS has very good cleaning ability.

I`ve got the MSDS for Quikshine. There are no solvents listed, no petroleum distillates, etc.

Why put the warning on anyway? How about our lawsuit happy society? People are actually suing McDonalds claiming they are responsible for their obesity. Why do sun visors have warnings that say "do not drive with sun visor in windshield"? Nutritional information is listed on the bag of ice I just bought. You just have to cover your butt these days.

imported_RIC
09-06-2003, 07:36 AM
Warning or not, that does not prevent lawsuits.

As my lawyer friend once said, "Anybody can sue anybody for anything they want"..."Will they be successful in their lawsuit?...probably not if it is a frivilous case. They also have to have the money to bring the lawsuit...which can be expensive to do.

If McDonald`s had a warning label on their packaging and advertising that eating their "crap" can make you fat and obese...do you believe that would prevent them from being sued?

The warning label on cigarettes does not prevent the cigarette companies from lawsuits.

"Why do sun visors have warnings that say "do not drive with sun visor in windshield"?"

Because the sun visor can obstruct your view and you could get into an accident. But would that warning be sufficient to prevent someone from suing? I doubt it. People on juries have rendered some very weird verdicts in past years...anything is possible.

There either is something in the Quick Shine that caused it to eat through the container or the container was placed on top of some corrosive material that ate through the container from the outside.

Water is a solvent [it is not the solvent that ate through the container I am sure]...I am surprised it is not listed on the MSDS sheet though.

MSDS sheets are not highly regulated. The manufacturer of the product decides what to put in or leave out. There are guidelines that are supposed to be followed. http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/msdstemplate.doc

Some MSDS are elaborate where others are very succint.

MSDS are not recipes for the product. Does Everett actually manufacture his products and know exactly what is in each one?

Scott P
09-06-2003, 07:41 AM
There was most likely a problem with the bottle itself. Maybe it weakened around the bottom seam. We`ve seen pictures of other products failing during shipping, so why would QS be any different?

Scottwax
09-06-2003, 10:44 PM
RIC-Everett does make most of his own products. The only ones I know he outsources are his car wash soap, mf towels, clay bar and foam pads.

My point about the sun visor is that it should be obvious to anyone with even a single brain cell that you should not attempt to drive with one still in the windshield. The fact that they have to add a warning means someone was actually stupid enough to drive with one in place and probably filed a legal claim.

On the MSDS sheets for Moose Wax and Vanilla Moose, they do list petroleum distillates. I have Everett`s assurance that Quikshine is water based and he has not given me a reason to doubt his word.

imported_jgv
09-07-2003, 05:08 AM
Maybe Everett should sue whoever makes those bottles :nixweiss