PDA

View Full Version : PC vs rotary time

mlebarron
09-03-2003, 07:20 PM
What type of speed difference is there in using a PC vs using a rotary?

I`m talking how long would it take to de-swirl a whole car (say average midsize vehicle with moderate swirls)

I know it depends on what products and such, but let`s say the machine is the only variable. Can anyone give some sort of estimate? I`ve been unable to find this sort of answer elsewhere.

JasonC8301
09-03-2003, 08:01 PM
There is a big difference between a PC and a rotary. If you have not touched or worked with a buffer or any type before, don`t jump straight into using a hi-speed rotary.

De-swriling a whole car with a PC will take hours, around 4 or so if it is heavy. The Pc requires a lot of effort but not as much effort as by hand. The PC is a great tool. I have one and used it for 2 years. Beats the heck out of hand application.

With a rotary, about 2 hours to de-swirl a car after all prep is done (taping off trim, covering windows and adjacent areas with towels to prevent splatter.)

The results achieved by rotary will beat the PC and hand polishing hands down on most cars.

mlebarron
09-03-2003, 08:12 PM
oh there`s no way I`d touch my car with a rotary without lots of practice on crap stuff... I just bought a PC and plan on lots of work with that, my Jeep is pretty badly swirled and I`m quite impressed with the PC...

I assume doing this as a business would require a rotary to be timely about it? or is it not a big deal since once they`re out, it`s less maintenance to keep it that way. Then again... still get the best results with a rotary.

I also have a 74 Super Beetle with a bad roof... got a bit of it done with the PC last weekend (very small spot)... took awhile and really made me wonder how much faster it could go and better it could be

Anthony O.
09-03-2003, 08:20 PM
The key is heat and friction. the more heat and friction, in combination with the correct product, the quicker the cut or leveling of the paint.

Doing this by hand is impossible unless you are Superman and while the PC is a step up, not much more heat can be built up with it than your hand. The difference is that after one panel of hard rubbing out by hand you are most likely ready to call it quits.

Depending on how anal you are with your detail work will determine how long it takes with a rotary.

Anthony

imported_zenhog
09-03-2003, 09:39 PM
Michael, look for products that don`t require heat to break them down, as that`s not what you can provide. Not all polishes require heat to be effective. If you do the right combination of pad and abrasive that works well with your PC, you can get after those swirls in a big way. For the heck of it I picked up some "extreme cut" polish from.. I think it was Top of the Line, or CMA... the stuff was more abrasive than 3M PI3 extra cut or the Menzerna high abrasive supergloss.. so it`s a matter of finding the right product.