PDA

View Full Version : This Method OK for Small Touchups?

Mass. Wine Guy
09-01-2003, 10:35 PM
My 2001 Golf (pearl green) has a couple of very small, rusting rock chipped spots where the windshield meets the roof. I plan to get some superfine sandpaper from my local body shop, punch the paper out in small disks and glue them to the eraser/tops of pencils.

Once smoothed down and rust removed, I`ll apply primer, let it dry and set for a day or two, then roughen it and apply touchup paint. I`ll use a tooth pick to apply the paint. Am I skipping any vital steps?

I also have some chipped areas on a couple of door edges from when they got knocked against adjacent vehicles. These aren`t rusting, but I can see the white primer and want to repair them. What`s the best way on such curved surfaces?

Thanks very much.

MBZ 500E
09-02-2003, 10:35 AM
Only thing I`d change is using a cardboard matchstick. Use the end which doesn`t have the sulfur on it and cut it at a 45 Degree angle. The matchstick will absorb some of the paint and apply a very small amount of paint. Also apply the paint over several days rather than all at once. A very thin almost see through layer is better than one big drop. 3 - 4 coats will usually fill a chip. Do the same on the curved surfaces. Since your car is pearled you might want to consider Langka to help remove the top layer of touch up paint and bring out the pearls and metallics in the paint. www.langka.com. Do a search, a few members have written about it. Good luck.

Accumulator
09-02-2003, 11:02 AM
You seem to be on the right track. As MBZ 500E said, treat the curved areas just like the flat ones. Maybe let the paint on your matchstick/toothpick dry for JUST A FEW SECONDS to thicken it slightly before applying it to vertical surfaces (less chance of running if you apply too much).

*I* use a rust convertor instead of a "regular" primer. MUCH more likely to completely get rid of the surface rust.

There are a LOT of threads on touch-up work with tips from some guys who are VERY good at it. It`s been a hot topic of late. There are posts on everything from cleaning the chips to wetsanding.