PDA

View Full Version : Zaino didn`t last 4 months! What!

Pages : [1] 2

Blue-Sun
09-01-2003, 02:16 PM
So yesterday morning, my GF and I decided to wash and detail the cars. So we go and wash her car first. It was zainoed and clayed back in early June or this year, washed once or twice only since then , and it had a layer of Z6 on it. Absolutely no beading of the paint. What the Heckis up with that? I mean, I wash my car weekly, and it beads like new. it has 2 layers of Z on it, and her`s has one. Why wold it not last on her car? Is it because it`s not washed regularly? I clean it when I can, but she drives thru 2 areas of construction a day, twice a day, so keeping it clean is a chore.

Good news is that we were able to wash, dry, vacume, zaino, and rain-x the windsheilds in under 3 1/2 hours combined. . .only to have it start raining as we were removing the Z off my car, and it hasn`t stopped raining since then for longer than 1/2 hour. . .

Deanski
09-01-2003, 02:50 PM
Sounds as if it did not fully bond to the finish due to some type of oil/silicone still on the finish.

After polishing, you have to strip oils from the polish off the finish by one of two methods, Dawn wash and or Alcohol/distilled water spray.

Zaino does last, so long as the finish was free from oils. If some oils were still there, it will start to fail in time as any wax.

Regards,

Deanski

square
09-01-2003, 05:08 PM
I think Deanski is spot on.

The same thing happened to me once. I finished a prep using Mequires #7 for polish, which has a bunch of oil in it. I did not wash the vehicle, but went straight to Z5.

A few weeks later, washing the car, no beading, just sheets, not at all like zaino.

I did a dawn wash, re-applied zaino, and everything was fine.

I suspect you had some type of oil on the finish before the Z

Lou

Deanski
09-01-2003, 05:28 PM
Here`s more on Megs #7 straight from Mike Phillips of Meguiars:

The full info on #7 (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23740)

As you read, yes #7 is very oily, and can effect the bonding of a polymer, Zaino or any sealant.

Not too many people are aware that polishes even wiped off still leave a little oil.

It`s important to remove all these impurities prior to Zaino. Failure to do so will not get it to bond and it just does not last as long as it can.

Regards,

Deanski

imported_memnuts
09-01-2003, 05:55 PM
Every statistic has a bell shaped curve of distribution. You may have done everything right but your girl friend`s car is in the area under the curve that only produced 4 months of protection. Zaino is no exception to this rule. Everyone will not get mega-months protection. Too many variables to ever come to that conclusion even with perfect prep.

You did the right thing and just re-Zaino`d and started re-enjoying the shine.

Blue-Sun
09-01-2003, 06:17 PM
There were no polishes used on the car when I did the zaino the first time. I washed with dawn, clayed using Zaino`s clay bar, washed again, and used Z2/ZFX on the car. That`s it, so there was no oils on the car.

Maybe, like blkZ28 said, it`s just the exception to the rule. I think that the fact that it`s bombarded by dust and airborne contaminats constantly don`t help the Z much. . .from now on, it`s gonna get a more regular washing cycle, like my baby. . .

Deanski
09-01-2003, 06:33 PM
Humm, now that`s odd! If you removed all the oils and the like, it is very strange why it did not bond correctly.

For that, you may want to reach out to Sal Zaino and explain exactly what you did prior to application. He can evaluate where the failure occurred. He can be reached at Sal@Zainobros.com

Or call him in the morning, around 8:30-9:00AM-11:00AM EST.

Let us know what he said may be the culprit, as I`m also wondering how this failed so soon!

Regards,

Deanski

mzgloves20
09-01-2003, 06:38 PM
I have a years worth of washes on only 3 layers of Z.... still beads like a mother!!

VetteToVair
09-01-2003, 06:46 PM
Why does there have to be a failure?

chris0626
09-01-2003, 10:19 PM
I`m with stanger99. I`m NOT convinced Zaino "failed." When I wash my Zaino`d baby (and it`s been about 4 months since the last Z2 application, by the way), the water sheets, never beads. Then I hit it again with the Z6 QD and -- voila! -- beads again. :up

Scottwax
09-01-2003, 10:30 PM
It could just be like blkZ28Conv said that in your case, given the enviroment the car is operated in and the lack of regular washing, 4 months is the tops you are going to get out of any product, no matter how durable.

More frequent washing would probably help. The longer dirt and other contaminants stay on the surface of the vehicle, the more likely they are to break down the protection of the polish or wax you use.

Blue-Sun
09-02-2003, 08:02 AM
Yah, I think it`s the lack of washing that did it. I often mention to her that I want to wash her car, say on a friday. And she`ll say, no, do it later or tomorrow, something like that. Then I go to wash it, say on Saturday, and she`ll say that forget it, cuz it`s just gonna get dirty again on Monday, and I don`t wash it then. But i`ll do it more often.

imported_Aurora40
09-02-2003, 09:13 AM
Why is it so many Zaino threads follow this pattern? Whenever someone has a less than ideal experience with Zaino, there are people who try to explain it away as something other than Zaino not cutting it.

First he must have done it all wrong and had oils on the paint. When he explained he didn`t use any polishes, then it must be something else. Maybe Zaino suddenly isn`t supposed to bead (even though it does for everyone else). It just sits there sheeting and quietly protecting (though any other protectant that actually claims to do this is accused of not lasting 2 weeks).

I think BlkZ28 is right on. For this guy it didn`t happen to last very long. So what? Does that mean Zaino sucks and everyone should switch to Klasse? Does that mean it doesn`t really last a year for those people who get a year out of it? Maybe it just means that for some people, especially if they don`t maintain the car, Zaino won`t make it 3 months (early June to late August). Blue-Sun isn`t even unhappy with the product, and just seemed to be pointing out his surprise at Zaino`s behavior in this one case (he even mentions having a better experience with it on his own car).

It just seems to me that any post where someone reports less than ideal behavior from their Zaino reads exactly the same... There`s nothing wrong with trying to help the guy have a better experience. But it seems like instead of reading "Here`s what you may have done wrong, and here`s what you might want to try to get better results", they tend to read "Here`s what you almost certainly did wrong, because Zaino rules all!" It`s enough that I almost don`t want to read any thread with "Zaino" in the title... :nixweiss

imported_memnuts
09-02-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Aurora40

It just seems to me that any post where someone reports less than ideal behavior from their Zaino reads exactly the same... There`s nothing wrong with trying to help the guy have a better experience. But it seems like instead of reading "Here`s what you may have done wrong, and here`s what you might want to try to get better results", they tend to read "Here`s what you almost certainly did wrong, because Zaino rules all!" It`s enough that I almost don`t want to read any thread with "Zaino" in the title... :nixweiss

I love Zaino, now that I have re-visited the new formulation and most importantly, increased my prepping skills.

But I must agree with Aurora 4.0 about these type of posts and their responses.

imported_Intermezzo
09-02-2003, 10:59 AM
Aurora, that`s a bit harsh, isn`t it? I just think the Z ppl were trying to offer help...that`s all. :)

BTW, Z lasts much longer on my Honda than it does on my bimmer.....

On my daily driven honda, 3-4 coats will last just under a year, but only seems to last 4-5 months on the bimmer (not driven daily).