PDA

View Full Version : Zaino question.

bimmerzhp
08-31-2003, 10:10 PM
I just used Zaino for the first time on my bimmer. I applied 1 coat of Z-5 and three coats of Z-2. The car is brand new so Z-5 was not really needed. My question is why after topping Zaino with a carnauba wax it cannot be applied on top of the wax. How does any body know that Z will not bond with the wax. Last week I applied 2 coats of Z-2 and on my trunk I used Gliptone with teflon. (A real pain to use) Today I applied another coat of Z-2 and it seemed to work fine even though I had topped Z with wax on my trunk last week. I like Zaino and want to top it with Destiny from Zymol but do not want to strip Z after I applied the wax and begin from scratch again.

LouisanaJeeper
08-31-2003, 10:19 PM
the carnauba does not bond very strongly with the Z below. Now you apply a coat of Z to the carnauba (which is not bonded well). Soon the carn. wax breaks down below and the Z on top of it.

You can apply a wax topper, just make sure you strip that off before adding another coat of Z.

bimmerzhp
08-31-2003, 10:27 PM
Okay, but what proof is there that the products are not bonding?

Deanski
08-31-2003, 10:43 PM
Zaino/wax combo is a common thing, however, the wax you applied on top of a fully cured Zaino layer will just "lay" on top of Zaino, then, applying Zaino over the wax just moves the wax/Zaino together. Yes it looks OK, but once the wax level breaks down, so does your Zaino that was on top of it. It`s the polymers in Zaino that crosslink each time you add more and more coats. Trying to add Zaino on top of wax will not add to the protective layer.

As soon as you apply wax, further crosslinking cannot be established as you now put a barrier in it`s way.

In laymen`s terms, you are wasting Zaino! You may as well keep adding wax at that point OR remove the wax topping prior to adding more Zaino. Zaino is a polymer and needs to react with the same polymer or it does not "add" to the protective layer, it just sits there.

Further clarification can be had directly from Sal Zaino, you can email him at WET@Zainobros.com or Sal@Zainobros.com or call him directly. You can elaberate on what I just posted in the above aforementioned.

Regards,

Deanski

bimmerzhp
08-31-2003, 10:57 PM
Thanks, I think I will call Sal too.

imported_Intermezzo
09-01-2003, 02:47 AM
You can apply Z on top of a layer of carnauba wax, it just won`t last as long as it would if you applied it on top of existing Z layers or bare paint. The Z layer will be bonding to your carnauba layer.... i.e., the Z layer will not last any longer than your carnauba layer.

If you have your heart set on using a carnauba wax topper, you can still add more layers of Z....just be sure to wait a few months till the carnauba layer is pretty much dead.

One final note.. DO NOT use Gliptone wax as a Zaino topper or for any other sealant for that matter. Both the Gliptone Original Carnauba and Gliptone Platinum Series waxes are combination paint cleaner and waxes....and would either remove the sealant from the surface it`s being applied on or seriously compromise it.

bimmerzhp
09-01-2003, 08:47 AM
I agree, well stated. Thanks:up