PDA

View Full Version : 3M Imperial Hand Glaze ?

JimmyS5600
08-29-2003, 08:53 PM
Hi All, I recently applied two layers of 3M IHG on GM sebring silver and was pleased with the results. Would it be of any benefit to continue applying additional layers of IMG? This is a "garage queen" that only sees maybe 800 miles a season,no rain etc. May seem like a goofy question but I really enjoy applying polish or wax on this vehicle as it is my pride and joy. Iam disabled and when Iam phyisically able to do this,feels like a worthwhile therapy for me. I just worry about screwing the finish up. Hope this makes sense to you all. Thanks

Jimmy

Patrick
08-30-2003, 12:31 AM
Well you may be making her look pretty, but your doing nothing for protection ! Get a sealant on there ! Either a couple coats of pure carnauba or Klasse, Blackfire, Platinum...Being as you may have physical limitations, you may want to opt for Platinum, which will last for 2-3 months, and is very easy to use....Klasse will outlast all of them, but if you enjoy the work as therapy, use the platinum, and wax every other week ! 3M IHG is a polish/glaze, but will wash out or evaporate if left uncovered.....

Pats300zx
08-30-2003, 07:01 AM
I found Megs #7 to be much easier to use than IHG. On my show car Z (26 miles last year) I use Megs #7 plus Pinnacle Souveran or S100 as a topper. Great shine :xyxthumbs

Accumulator
08-30-2003, 12:30 PM
JimmyS5600 - To answer your original question, NO you will NOT hurt your vehicle`s finish by applying the 3m IHG frequently.

It doesn`t sound like you`re after long term protection, so if that`s what you like to use, then it should be fine. If you want to try a similar product, the Meg`s #7 is highly regarded.

"Sealing in" such products with a wax or sealant WILL give your finish more protection, and you and layer those (waxes or sealants) the same way you`re doing now with the IHG, so it MIGHT be well worth considering. Many of these products are at least as easy to use as the IHG.

imported_Greg
08-30-2003, 01:06 PM
In my opinion, top off the IHG with S100 wax and the IHG shine will remain much longer. Top off the S100 with IHG if you`d like.

biff
09-02-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Greg

Top off the S100 with IHG if you`d like.

I would think that that the IHG would remove the S100 (or any wax becasue it it a polish) but I haven`t tried it in this order.

BTW If you want to save some serious cash and effort, try Mothers Sealer Glaze when you run out of IHG. I tried them side by side and the results are pretty much identical, but the IHG is much harder to work with, and the Mothers actually feels smoother(?)