PDA

View Full Version : New black volvo with swirls

unresitered1234
08-29-2003, 10:01 AM
Washed my brand new black Volvo wagon for the first time yesterday, and noticed some pretty bad swirl marks courtesy of the dealer. It seems my experience is not unique--think I read in another thread the same thing happened at a Porche dealer?

Anyway, since it is a new car, and after reading some of this (great) forum, it seems that the Klasse twins should handle this? Or do I need something before the AIO to remove the swirls (3M IHG??). Seems I`ve read the twins can highlight existing flaws.

Also, Volvos have a lot of black plastic cladding, and there didn`t seem to be any consensus (as there seems to be with the twins)about what works best on this.

I`m most interested in long-lasting vs. the best looking.

Washed the car with Meg crystal wash--seemed OK. Used Meg Wheel cleaner, too, which worked well, stoner invisible glass cleaner. The Meg tire gloss gel didn`t seem to be the best.

The brake dust is awful on the wheels, so will be going through a lot of wheel cleaner--any ideas for inexpensive wheel cleaners that are decent and won`t damage the wheels? There;s a rain-x type of product at auto supply stores for wheels that claims to make wheel cleaning easier.

JPS911
08-29-2003, 10:56 AM
Well, it all comes down to how bad they are...I have had stuff that wiped off with QD, and stuff that didn`t come out with 3M MGIII and a PC with yellow pad. FWIW...here is my saga...

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=254313#post254313

mlebarron
08-29-2003, 11:36 AM
Wax your wheels :)

I have BF AFPP on my wheels... makes it MUCH easier to remove brake dust, and gives them a very nice shine.

2wheelsx2
08-29-2003, 12:06 PM
I would definitely go with some sort of SMR prior to AIO. DACP is usually what people use here (3M product too, but I am not familiar with them). Then you can use the AIO and SG. As mentioned above, sealant on the wheels is good too. I would AIO and SG them after getting them really clean, and then washing with just car soap should not be a problem until you need to really clean them again.

Bill D
08-29-2003, 01:50 PM
I layered sealant on my wheels but I always wipe them down .The sealant definitely helps to keep them clean. The dust wipes off with great ease. When I wash the wheels they will probably look better than new.

AMDin93103
08-29-2003, 06:17 PM
I know your Volvo is new but as soon as you go throught your pads try Mintex (red box, C-tech I think) They are a bit harder feeling than OEM but produce about 1/2 the residue IMO. Also designate a MF to take care of your wheels 2x week as you warm up your car. What did you get BTW? -Stu.

the diesel rat
08-29-2003, 07:09 PM
If it`s light swirling, use some Meguiar`s Swirl Free Polish, followed by Final Polish (I forget the manufacturer, too lazy to get up and look :D), then top it with your favorite wax.

unresitered1234
09-02-2003, 08:03 AM
Got a black V70. Like the car a lot, first Volvo. Just pissed at the swirl marks from the dealer, but I`ll get over it. Actually found out about this site from a forum on volvospy.com

Thanks for the advice on the brake pads.

The only outstanding question I had was the longest lasting, non-streaking product for the black plastic molding on the car.

Thanks for the advice and a great forum.

rleven
09-12-2003, 05:38 AM
I bought a Cayenne Turbo over the weekend and while walking throught the Porsche lot with the salesman looking at colors I noticed swirl marks on all the cars that haven`t even been prepped yet. That means the swirl marks come from their vehicle processing center when they get off the boat. Kind of pxssed me off knowing that when my car arrives at the dealer I will have to deal with swirl marks on a 88K automobile!!!

LOTA OT
09-12-2003, 12:23 PM
The processing centers are removing the cosmoline that most german manufactures put on their cars during shipping. From what I understand of the stuff, I think you`d rather deal with the swirls than try to get off all the cosmoline yourself. Sucks, but the lesser of two evils.

Mike

rleven
09-12-2003, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I had the goop all over my garge floor when I got my M3. It melts off the exhaust for the first couple of weeks. It is really vile sxhit! However, my M3 has absolutely no swirl marks on it. The BMW VPC is state of the art and is brushless. I think they use a hot high pressure solvent.

Bob