PDA

View Full Version : Crazy thought about clear coat

Rednsxe
08-29-2003, 03:10 AM
I was curious if you can just grab a bottle of those clear coat from like a paint store and just spray on your car. and then use coumpounding to set things straight. Would that work? or is there like special prep you have to do inorder to do so? Because all this time, we always talk about just cutting the clear coat, why not add back onto the clear coat and then finish it off by cutting it even.

Would that crazy idea work?

JasonC8301
08-29-2003, 05:08 AM
It *might* work but will require a lot of work.

1. Remove everything from the paint, imperfections, contamination, wax, sealants, etc. etc.

2. Level the paint by wet sanding if needed.

3. Go into a controlled environment and mask off everything.

4. Spray the clear, bake at low temp to help dry/cure.

5. Wetsand, apply another coat as needed (repeat step 4.)

6. Wetsand final coat and polish

7. Let the clear cure (2-3months?) then apply favorite wax or sealant.

This is not a good thing to do IMHO. Unless you have a custom paint job or have a lot of money to burn, you might do more harm than good.

Hopefully experienced body shop painters can chime in,

Jason

jr weeks
08-30-2003, 06:59 PM
If your paint was in decent condition, all you ostensibly need to do to add more clear is wetsand with ~800 grit, then reclear with urethane enamel clear.

You really don`t want to have more than ~3 MILS ( 3 one-thousandths of an inch) of clear on top though, because you can start to get issues with cracking/checking etc. Having "more of a good thing" is not necessarily open-ended in this case.

But yeah, scuff it and respray if you like, just NOT with clear lacquer. (No shaker cans!) :)

cnacne
08-30-2003, 08:27 PM
From what I remember working in a body shop, the reason you do not want to use a shake can is because of the way the dot of paint/ clear will spread. The mixed paint has additives (according to humidity) that allow it to spread and cover what`s being painted.

I would guess using a can you would/ could probably just end up with a ton of area not covered and it would not be an even, smooth coat.

Joe