PDA

View Full Version : 3 Dings and a ARGGH later

jsoto
08-28-2003, 07:27 PM
I`m trying to determine if it`s worth taking this to a body shop. I have never dealt with touch up paint but there is 3 rock chips that have have dinged the car to the bare metal.

Painting in thin layers is no problem, but then I`m going to need to wetsand, etc which I`m not looking forward to. Then there`s the bumper with a 2 areas where someone parked just a tad bit too close to me when trying to parallel park.

I`m figuring $250ish for the work which I don`t mind. Just looking to see what fellow Autopians view is on this.

spartacus_33
08-31-2003, 06:45 AM
Where the dings went to bare metal, you will have to decide if you can live with the touchup, or spring for the bodyshop. In New York, the bumper is a non issue. We have to accept the fact that parking kills the finish. I would not repair the bumper unless you are returning a leased car. It will only happen again. I miss the rubber bumper on my old 1980 280ZX. Are there any bumper guards that don`t look terrible?

Deanski
08-31-2003, 06:52 AM
It`s time to think about getting a "clear bra" such as Armorglove, Expel, Stoneguard etc to protect those areas.

I have Armorglove installed on my SC430 after the first 15 days of ownership, it got nailed!

It is on the front bumper/air-dam, hood (warpped), headlights, fender by headlights, side mirrors, rockers and door cups.

Here`s the pic. The Armorglove was highlighted at the end as it`s hard to see unless you`re right next to it.

Armorglove on my SC430 (http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3701&papass=&sort=1)

Best investment I made!

Regards,

Deanski

Quickstrike
08-31-2003, 01:54 PM
Looking into this Armorglove bra, I am wondering how well it blends into the original car paint/finish...

Have any pictures of the Lexus with Armorglove w/o the highlight done?

Thanks in Advance,

-Adam.S