PDA

View Full Version : Using a sealant... have a question:

tommyd
08-28-2003, 03:22 PM
I`ve heard that some sealants promote sheeting vs. beading. Is this true?

SK2003TypeS
08-28-2003, 04:00 PM
I use zaino on mine. sheets when I wash it and dry with the "dry with water" technique and beads in the rain. Why does it matter ?

tommyd
08-28-2003, 04:10 PM
I`m trying out Pro II Sealant... and it`s not beading...

I think it`s because i didn`t strip my car completely and had some wax still on the surface when i applied which may have compromised the bonding process...

(it seems to bead in places but not others so i think this is the case... nothing runs off the car though)

It`s kind of a `need to know` since i`m planning on redoing the car this weekend (using isopropyl alcohol to wipe the car clean)

imported_Intermezzo
08-28-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by tommyd

I`m trying out Pro II Sealant... and it`s not beading...

I think it`s because i didn`t strip my car completely and had some wax still on the surface when i applied which may have compromised the bonding process...

Pro II contains some cleaning agents and would easily cut through whatever waxes or polishes were on your car.

Profection (Pro`s other Polysealant) didn`t bead much for me either. However, it was obvious the protection was there because of the way the water `funneled` & sheeted right off.

wash_me
08-28-2003, 05:08 PM
I think its best to make sure you paint is very clean before applying a sealant. Doing a three step and even ABC on your paint will help make the sealant bond better.

rstype
08-28-2003, 10:15 PM
When trying out a new product, I like to leave a small section of a panel untouched. This way, I can tell how well the product is holding up - see how it compares to the bare section. Some waxes or polymers don`t have obvious signs of beading or sheeting... so this really helps.

tommyd
08-30-2003, 07:15 AM
Intermezzo: thanks! I did notice that on spraydown, the water did sheet away very nicely... i was just worried as there was always water left behind (from the incidental spray)...

the first protectant i used (don`t laugh) was a turtle was caranuaba that lasted i think about 3 washes... but not a drop of water ever stayed on the car... no matter how hard i tried...

so i was curious since one cost me big $$ and the other was about the price of a big mac...

BW: that`s a good idea, but aren`t you worried about the spot you leave unprotected? Personally, i`d be freaking out... but i`m just paranoid like that... :scared

Incidentally, to make sure i have everything off i`m going to do an isopropyl alcohol wipe before reapplying the sealant... this should be enough no?

I`m storing the car in a couple of months so not planning to do a full detail until i bring it back out next spring...