PDA

View Full Version : polishing a black durango

mlebarron
08-28-2003, 09:55 AM
I`m doing a black Durango with light swirls. 3M PI-III MG is fine enough to use as the top polish, correct? White pad?

I`m also putting BF Polish over it before AFPP.

Just a quick question :)

Thanks!

Patrick
08-28-2003, 10:56 AM
Im not real familiar with all of 3M`s stuff, just be careful what you use prior to a polish. If its a glaze, chances are it will be removed with BF polish. Your going for a good combo, using BF. Try to top with a carnauba the next day after using the sealant......

mlebarron
08-28-2003, 12:38 PM
Yeah I don`t care if the 3M is removed by the BF... I just want to be sure the PI-III MG is fine enough to use as the last step that has any abrasives in it on a black vehicle.

Corey Bit Spank
08-28-2003, 01:06 PM
If you use BF Polish it has light abrassives in it. I went from DACP to BF polish and got good results. You may not need to top Blackfire APP, it looks good as it is.

Patrick
08-28-2003, 03:24 PM
Why dont you go with 3M SMR then BF sealant.....

The reason I suggest a Carnauba topper isnt for added looks, as far as Im concerned, you cant top BF with anything and make it look better. The stuff is totally awesome, but it tends to attract dust until some oils have evaporated or washed off, then its even better. The Carnauba will assist in eliminating dust attraction.....

mlebarron
08-28-2003, 03:31 PM
how abrasive is SMR compared to PI-III MG and the BF Polish? (I already own these, so it`s easier to use them than buy more)

Patrick
08-28-2003, 09:32 PM
Well its more so than the Bf polish, and Im not sure about the 3M PI, but you said you has some minor swirls, thats why I even mentioned it. 3M SMR is great stuff for light stuff.....Why dont you try the BF polish and see what happens, then go from there.

Now that I think about it, im a lil confused about the 3M PI-III MG...Isnt that a glaze ?

mlebarron
08-29-2003, 08:33 AM
I was told MG had very light abrasives in it. I can`t remember what the bottle says at the moment, but I can look at it when i get back home.

Patrick,

How many coats of AFPP do you typically use?

Patrick
08-29-2003, 10:41 AM
Patrick,How many coats of AFPP do you typically use?

The beauty of BF AFPP, is its layerable....I normally go with 2, about a week apart, and of course thats on my own vehicle. Time does not permit that on client cars. 1 is satisfactory on client cars, but I will try to follow up with another at there next appt. in 3 months. Something else i love to do is put a second coat on before wiping the first off. It helps alleviate any missed spots, and just evens out the surface.