PDA

View Full Version : Water spot predicament

marzen
08-28-2003, 02:22 AM
Hey Everyone!

I always thought a ding on a car is a car guy`s nightmare. But, I was wrong. Water Spots are worse. I have tried vinegar, clay, 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Cmpd, Menzerna Intensive, all with a PC and a Yellow Foam Pad and none of it worked. PC was set at 3.5 and application was done twice. The water spots are still visible if you look very closely.

And so, I figured make some calls/emails at Meguiar`s and CMA and bottomline is I needed a high speed rotary buffer. Problem is I do not have one and I do not have actual experience with its usage. Also, I was told that DACP must be used with a high speed rotary buffer to remove water spots. So instead of buying DACP I ended up going to a detail shop and have them polish the exterior to rid of the water spots. There were some left, unfortunately, and after 4 days, I see most of the water spots return and are now more visible plus swirl lines. Money down the drain, I thought. Surely I will have them remove the swirls since I ask for a Swirl mark warranty. But they were hesitant to get deeper into the clear coat to remove the remaining visible water spots.

Well, that is the pain that to now bothers me. I was thinking, did they do a good job? Why were most of the spots removed at the time of pick up and then later show up again. Did they use some kind of glaze to hide the spots because surely they hid the swirls very well at that time. What could they have done with my clear coat? Can I restore my cosmos black paint to mint condition again? Well, just venting, but I surely appreciate any suggestions.

imported_Luster
08-28-2003, 08:43 AM
I can relate to this exact problem.

My black Grand Prix was parked in the sun on a 106 degree day when the sprinkler system came on at a local grocery store in the heat of the day! (I can`t even imagine what the paint surface temp was!)

when I came out to get in the car.....

ETCHED-IN, CRUSTY-OUTLINE WATER SPOTS!!!!

I was LIVID!

Alcohol

Vinegar

QD

Car Wash

Clay (this got most of it)

Fine Cut

Z2

Spots still visible....

Finally, after about 6 weeks, the spots are almost gone.

But I`m using Zaino every week on those areas. I think (possibly) the Zaino is slowly disolving the left-over mineral scale, but it`s a VERY SLOW process.

Each application of Z2 seems to remove a microscopic layer of mineral deposits.

Basically, it has to WEAR OFF!

But I guarantee, I won`t get caught in that situation again. Lesson learned.

Scott301
08-28-2003, 09:09 AM
I have a jet black BMW that also had a nice dosage of water spots from the water spot `````. I used a PC and One Grand Special Touch and after slowly working it all are now gone.

Brad

imported_rachelanne16
08-28-2003, 02:28 PM
Not trying to get too political, ;) but get ready for water spots to get a whole lot worse as the Clean Air Act is effectively gutted. Link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A56121-2003Aug27.html) (Washington Post story - registration may be required).

Old coal-fired electric power plants are responsible for over 90% of sulfur dioxide emissions today. These plant were `grandfathered` in when the original act passed in the late `70s, but they were supposed to be brought into compliance as they expanded or made other improvements. It is this provision that is being done away with.

More info is available at the Save the Clean Air Act (http://www.savethecleanairact.org/public/) site.