PDA

View Full Version : Sanding the base coat?

yogoat
08-28-2003, 12:21 AM
Paint`s usually sanded with 600/1200 grit paper before clearcoat`s applied, right? Well, I usually buy a can of Dupli-Color auto spray and paint other things, but follow the same process that would be on cars; just without all the mixing of paint and whatnot. Typically, when I sand the primer/paint with 600 grit, around the edges it just gets torn. On my guitar, it shows through the paint, and even primer revealing the original paint on it; only around the edges, though. I had to go very easy sanding it, so that it wouldn`t wear away the center of it, so I still have a bit of orange peel.

I`ve considered just leaving the color and spraying clearcoat (yep, more dupli-color), then sanding that, but the paint would still look crummy. Any recommenations?

Thanks.

Accumulator
08-28-2003, 10:55 AM
yogoat- Welcome to Autopia. It seems the problem is the paint getting "torn" around the edges. You might work on getting more of a "feathered edge" where the new paint blends more smoothly into the old stuff. This isn`t the easiest thing to do. Maybe consult a book on autopainting or talk with a painter at a body shop.