PDA

View Full Version : removing Blackfire

mlebarron
08-27-2003, 08:22 AM
I just got my PC :D and spent a few hours with it last night. Got out a good number of the swirls on the hood, although now I see all the other scratches and such... oh well.

I`ve got AFPP that I`m using as the top coat. Is it best to put it on/wipe off by hand (with MF)? Or can I get a better shine by using the PC on it? In general is it better to remove and buff the top coat by hand? or by machine?

Anyone have any recommendations on the best top coat for a lighter colored car? Something that could hide some paint imperfections maybe?

Thanks!:xyxthumbs

Michael

JoshABI
08-27-2003, 08:35 AM
Michael, I use Blackfire on my gold car and love it. I always use my PC with a black finishing pad to apply it to the car. I find that it allows me to spread a nice even but very thin coat...that`s important because too much Blackfire will just cause you headaches. As for buffing it off, I always do that by hand...with a couple microfiber cloths. It`s important to give the BF plenty of time to dry before you buff it off. I don`t touch it for at least an hour after application. I`ve never had any streaking or problem with removal, and really love the look. Have fun!:xyxthumbs

mlebarron
08-27-2003, 09:45 AM
What speed do you put your PC on for applying? Do you have the Blackfire Polish too? Apply the same way?

I have PI-III, but put the Blackfire polish on after it as supposedly the AFPP "bonds" better with the Blackfire polish

Accumulator
08-27-2003, 10:11 AM
APPLYING: *I* use a Cyclo to apply BFII (and PUPP)- that would be like speed 3-4 on the PC (Cyclo is a little slower than that but it doesn`t "bog" like the PC so it SEEMS much faster). You could speed that up a bit with the polish if you wanted to, won`t be a problem. I really try to work the AFPP into the paint.

REMOVAL: I remove the polish by hand with a VERY soft, plush MF ("regular" MF bonnets aren`t soft enough for MY cars, but I use them with a RO on other people`s cars). For the AFPP, I`ll give it a fairly quick pass by hand with a plush MF, then I buff it using one of the various *"suede-style"* MF bonnets now available. This seems to help a little with the BF-haze/smearing and it makes the job quicker and easier (at least for me).

JoshABI
08-27-2003, 10:16 AM
When I apply the BF, I have the PC set to about 3...pretty low speed. I have the BF Polish as well, that I generally use at 3.5-4 on the PC with a white polishing pad. I wouldn`t worry about BF bonding with other products....I know that there is a lot of talk about sealants and bonding issues, but I use all sorts of stuff with my BF and have no problems.

Currently, I use Meguiar`s No. 3 Machine Glaze Prior to Blackfire. Actually, Terry at CMA used to list this as part of his "Reference Shine" routine...BF Polish, No 3 MG, then BF Paint Protect....then Souveran. On other cars I might use the BF Polish then straight to the AFPP, or I might go with Meguiar`s Swirl-Free Polish then Blackfire PP. The moral of the story is that I`ve used plenty of things before Blackfire, and have yet to run into a problem with bonding or durability. Apply a very thin coat and give it enough time to dry and you should be go to go!