PDA

View Full Version : Just making sure

airjames
08-26-2003, 06:44 PM
I finally went out and bought a PC yesterday from Lowe`s. The 7336SP model. Came with everything that I read from the site here and got a chance to use it today on my Rangers hood. The PC came with wrench, waxing pad, sanding disc and 6" counterweight. I washed the hood of my truck and dried throughly. Next, I sprayed the pad with MEguiars QD and out came good ol #26 and mated it to the PC and went to work being careful, divided the hood up into 3 sections with the speed set on 4. I applied #26 in a thin line around the outer edge of the pad. I set the pad down onto the paint flat and turned the PC on going back and forth steady as she goes. Question here is my technique right for this??????

airjames
08-26-2003, 06:46 PM
BTW, I much prefer where you have to use the wrench to change pads as opposed to velcro. Just gives me a better feeling that the pad is centered and holding more secure onto the machine. Is there any place I can pick up some 7.5" pads with the threads on the back??????? or whatever size pad

2wheelsx2
08-26-2003, 06:52 PM
I thought like you did too, until my pad started to separate at the edge of the backing plate, because of the pressure I was applying to the machine.

If you are only going to be waxing with it, you won`t have that problem. But if you were only going to do that, any cheap ol` RO buffer would have worked.

As you use it more, you`ll see what I mean. Do a search in the galleries and in the forums, and you`ll see what I mean. I recall someone had a pic of this problem in their gallery. And I know there are plenty of posts on it.

Anthony O.
08-26-2003, 07:56 PM
F-150,

Personally I always wax by hand as I like to feel the paint as I work.

The PC works best right around the 4-5 mark and thus makes it great for polishing and light cutting. I would also agree with Gary that the velcro pad is the way to go because changing pads is so fast and convenient.

For some nice pads try www.topoftheline.com

I am finding that a Lake Country white polishing pad with Hi-Temps Light Cut and then "Paint Pefection Glaze" applied with a black finishing pad produces some really great results for just two products. You can even top the Paint Perfection with a carnauba and get an even nicer wet look, depending on the color.

Anthony

airjames
08-27-2003, 05:38 PM
Thanks 2wheels & Anthony for chiming in. My problem is with velcro is that yea it maybe fast and convienent but, I would have a hell of a time trying to get the pad centered onto the velcro. I would much much rather wrench on the thing and take my time and knowing the pad is on there securely and centered. I really don`t feel like dickin around with the thing peeling the pad off and on 4 or 5 times just to get the son of a ***** centered on there.

However, I"m the flexible type so if you guys say velcro is as good as you say it really is, I"ll go ahead and give it a shot. Thanks a bunch :up ,,,,,,,91

2wheelsx2
08-27-2003, 06:04 PM
I had kind of the same reservation about centering it in the beginning. But what I find is that I put the pad down, and then put the PC with the backing plate on the pad itself, instead of the other way around. The grab are on the pad is only 2 or 3 mm bigger in diameter than the backing plate. I lightly put it on, check for centering, and then flip the whole thing so the pad is on top and press firmly all over to ensure it`s grabbed on. After you do it once or twice, you`ll realize that it`s quick and easy.:up

shaf
08-27-2003, 11:30 PM
Meguiar`s sells some pads with integral backing plates like the PC brand one, but I`m 99% sure they`re for hand drill use or threaded for rotary machines, not the PC 5/16" shaft. AFAIK, PC is the only company who makes a screw-on pad for it.