PDA

View Full Version : My upcoming detail, opinions please

h22accordex
08-26-2003, 04:52 PM
Hello. This is my first post( i think) on this board. Ive been reading alot and ordered ALOT of stuff to detail my car. All pinnacle and klasse. Heres my to do list

Wash, bodywork shampoo

AIO x1

SG x2

Paintwork cleansing lotion x1

Paste Glaz x1

cycle glaz x1

LS x1

The car was already clay barred the last time i did a basic detail( wash,clay, wax) so i dont think i need to do that again. Is there anything on there that isnt necessary or should i add something? How long do i wait between coats of the klasse twins and the 3 waxes? If you wanna know my car, its a White 92 honda accord. Thanks, you guys are awesome!

JasonC8301
08-26-2003, 06:07 PM
Sounds a bit off to me.

1. Wash

2. Pinnacle PCL (if you have swirls, use a swirl remover and /or polish)

3. Klasse AIO X1 maybe 2

4. Layer SG away

5. Top with Pinnacle Paste Glaz.

I heard LS has light cleaners in it, haven`t gotten myself to read about cycle glaze.

russ968
08-26-2003, 06:18 PM
Welcome to Autopia:welcome

Perhaps you could tell us a little more about your car and its paint condition. A picture would be great.

Without those it is hard to get the advise you need and hard to comment beyond generalities or any glaring issues. Your choices of brands are good. I put Pinnacle on top of Klasse often as it is my favorite combination. You don`t need all of the products you listed however. The following would be sufficient if your paint is swirl/marring free.

Wash, bodywork shampoo

AIO x 2

SG x 3-5

Paste Glaz x1

Paintwork cleansing lotion will remove or streak the Klasse. The Cycle Glaz and Paste Glaz are similar and designed to do the same thing, protect your finish so you only need one and some may suggest that the Klasse SG is enough. To each his own. There is a bit of a debate running about solvents in the new LS so I`d skip that, for the time being as well. If there are solvents they will affect the Klasse.

If your car has and swirls, oxidization, marring etc. you`ll need to remove those and I`ll bet there are a number of opinions on how to get that done. I`ll wait for your reply.

3 suggestions:

1. Run over to the hall of fame and read Jimwh Klasse Instructions. They`ll help you through the easy but slightly tricky Klasse application. Remember 1 hour dry time before removing and 24 hour cure times between layers/coats. "I" had great luck with these and some hazing when I tried to "short-cut" the process.

2. Grab the search function and spend a few hours with it and all the great info here including David`s section in the "learn" area above.

3. Application techniques/preparation has more to do with success and satisfaction at least IMHO. So look for wash, dry and clean/polish techniques that will help you.

Good luck,

Russ

h22accordex
08-26-2003, 06:34 PM
Hey, thanks for the opinions guys! The paint job on my car is only about 6 months old so there is no oxidation or anything like that. Im wondering if i put a coat of cycle glaz( since it has both pinnacle waxes in it) followed by paste glaz what kinda results i would have? I dunno im a newB i guess, lol. Oh and between coats of SG, its ok to wash? since i would be driving it between those times and you cant wax your car when its dirty, obviously!

Thanks again!

shaf
08-26-2003, 09:51 PM
Welcome to Autopia. :welcome

Did the guys who painted your car do a good job of polishing it? (ie, is there any swirling when you look at the sun`s reflection or the light from street lamps?) If so, you may want to give the car a polishing job before using everything you mentioned, which are ALL very mild or only protection products.

It seems a bit too heavy in the number of products you want to use IMO. I would stop with Klasse SG (plenty of protection right there) and see how it looks for a while before deciding to top it with a wax. I would use Paste Glaz or Cycle Glaz, and not LS. I would not bother getting more than one of these waxes at this point since your car is white and also because I honestly don`t think there would be a very dramatic difference between the looks of them.

I`d layer on 3-5 coats of SG and top with wax once in a while if I felt like it. The general opinion is that waxes don`t layer all that well anyway. And yes, it IS okay to wash between any of the steps. Good luck!

h22accordex
08-27-2003, 12:44 AM
It looks to me like they did a good polish job on it. There is some swirling in the center of the hood where it is black( custom hood) will any of those products remove those or should i use something else also? I plan on using a PC ultimate detail machine (cant remember the model number of it, its on classic motoring) Thanks again!

Accumulator
08-27-2003, 11:14 AM
badassaccord- Welcome to Autopia. The others are right about your not needing all the products mentioned. If you have clearly visible swirls, *I* recommend 3M PI-III MG (pn 05967). If you like, you can follow that up with something even milder, like Meg`s #9 or Einszett Metallic Polish (burgundy bottle), or P21S GEPC, or the PPCL, but it`s not always necessary on white (might make a difference on the black parts, though). This should get your paint about as good as it can get. Then AIOx1 and SG x as many as you can do, at least 3 (yes, washing in between is OK, I just put on another layer with each wash for a while). Then do either the PG *OR* the "new" LS (which Mosca just proved DOES seem to layer fine).

BTW, Bodywork Shampoo is sorta harsh (it can really strip wax!) and it gets expensive. *I* have switched from PBS to Griot`s Car Wash ($30/gallon), my new favorite car soap.

I`m ASSUMING you have plenty of good MF`s.

SamIam
08-27-2003, 08:48 PM
I just used the Einszett line on a black 2000 Toyota Celica GTS. Someone earlier suggested the Metallic Polish. I used it and it worked great. Followed up with the Glanz wax and I am a believer. Super easy on, super easy off, shines great.

I am waiting to get my pictures developed. When I do, I will post the pics, before and after.

Gonna do my black Audi later this week. Looking forward to it.

SamIam

Bill D
08-27-2003, 08:54 PM
As a fellow black Audi owner I am very curious to see how that 1z works out for you. Keep us posted!

shaf
08-27-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by badassaccord

It looks to me like they did a good polish job on it. There is some swirling in the center of the hood where it is black( custom hood) will any of those products remove those or should i use something else also? I plan on using a PC ultimate detail machine (cant remember the model number of it, its on classic motoring) Thanks again! Nothing you have listed will do very much for swirls. Since you`re going to be using a PC at least you`ll save yourself some sweat. For very light swirls people usually try using a swirl remover such as from Meguiar`s or 3M. If they`re a bit deeper then products like Megs DACP or 3M PI-III seem to be popular choices. Check out the 1Z line too - some people like that stuff a lot. The general rule if you`re unsure is to start off milder (swirl remover) and work your way up to stronger products if that doesn`t respond in a reasonable amount of time.