PDA

View Full Version : cleaning etched glass

Guzmankwe
08-26-2003, 03:44 PM
I performed a search but could not find exactly what I was looking for so here is my question.

My dad has a 67 Mustang that we just finished restoring, the glass expecially the side windows have SEVERE water spots that have been baked in the sun probably from 1967. The glass feels rough so I`m sure were talking about etched glass here. I have tried vinegar and water and also some Zaino glass cleaner and alot of elbow grease. I even tried a metal razor blade (figured it couldn`t make it any worse) and nothing has given results. I know I`m going to have to use some big boy stuff now. What is there to try that I haven`t. I realize we may have to replace the glass. Please any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

p.s. can I use 2000grit paper and try maybe wet sanding them? It`s going to take some kind of abrasive.

ntoddalbert
08-26-2003, 03:52 PM
have you tried using cola?

Leave it on for a few minutes, rinse well, some claim great results

Keep it off any paint though

wash_me
08-26-2003, 04:32 PM
Have you try using #0000 steel wool with a glass polish?

Check out the link.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26801

imported_Dave Holmes
08-28-2003, 01:48 AM
Duragloss "Nu-glass" works wonders on baked on water spots. Can be found online or possibly at your local glass specialty shop. It`s a glass polish designed specifically for water spots, tree sap, etc... Saved me from having to replace all of my glass. Excellent product in my book.

Dave