PDA

View Full Version : clay bar

slackerme
08-25-2003, 07:48 PM
Ok this might be a stupid question but i was told that you should only clay bar your car twice a year because everytime you do it, it takes a layer or clear coat off. I want to no if i should believe this or not. But if its not true then what does clay bar actually do and how does it work.

thanks

SK2003TypeS
08-25-2003, 08:00 PM
Start here:

http://www.autopia.ws/articles.php?articleId=14

It won`t take off your clear coat.

JimS
08-25-2003, 08:00 PM
Well....I`m no expert by any means but here comes my impression of clay bars.

Clay bars are sticky. When you glide them over a lubricated surface that has contaminants sticking up above the surface of the paint (feels gritty) then those contaminants stick to the clay bar.......because it is sticky.

That`s what I see happening and I don`t think using a clay bar removes any more clear coat than rubbing the clear coat with soap or wax or towels etc.

Jngrbrdman
08-25-2003, 08:18 PM
You should clay whenever the car needs it. If you park under a tree every day then you will need to clay more than the average bear. If you live by an oil refinery (like I do) then you may need to clay more than the average bear. If you live by a freeway or do a lot of freeway driving then you may need to clay more often. Its just a matter of need. If your surface feels rough then you need to clay it. Its not going to hurt your finish if you do it properly.

Claying is one of the first steps in preparing the surface of your car for a wax or sealant. After clay you generally polish and then move on with the process. Since clay may remove some or all of your wax or sealant, it is a wise idea to just go ahead and polish the rest off and start over. If you have to clay your car then you should be prepared to basicly start from the beginning again.