PDA

View Full Version : OMG, Armor All Tire Foam Protectant is good!

YoSteve
08-25-2003, 12:33 AM
So it`s not often that I try a product (ehem, BMDP ;) ) that`s over the counter and like it a lot. Let`s just say preliminarily I like this one.

Now I`ve never been a fan of tire swipeing. I used that purple gooey stuff for so long and all it did was stick and brown. Kinda like rolling around in the sand after putting a nice coat of oily sunblock.

From then on I`d use EFHI (to wash out the brown) and start a new and then dress or spray then I`d do it all over again the following wash. I really didn`t like it and if you read around, there is no consensus on what tire stuff to use (we don`t even hear much from Z heads).

So I got a tip from a friend that he liked this Armor All stuff. You you what I was thinking; we all think it, bleh! But then I see him wash his car, his tires were beading. So thinking he must have just put it on (cause they were still black) I was thinking yeah, they`ve got to brown eventually. He said they never did.

So I figured what the heck, I`ll purchase some. So I go to Autozone and get it. Clean my tires with EFHI, scub and let dry and apply the foamy spray. Simple typical application, seems nice. It wasn`t too shiny but it was shiney, sorta Vinylex shiny (one coat).

So now it`s two weeks later and mind you it`s been hot and sunny in Ohio these past two weeks (think blackout with no air conditioner). And I`m looking at my car today and there`s no brown whatsoever, it still has a nice black sheen and looks great.

So, so far so good, I`m convinced for now. Never thought I`d say that about an AA product. Oh well :D :up I like it, if you`re a foam spray tire person, this is a good one. If you`re not and have browning, try this one. If the browing problem is not an issue anymore and everyone fixed the issues, then I`ve been living under a rock cause I was using the old purple stuff.

Mr. Clean
08-25-2003, 12:38 AM
YoSteve,

Are you using the old formula, or the new and improved formula? I just this weekend bought the older product, passing on the newer, more expensive version. My plans were to use it deep in the wheel well where I can`t quite reach with a brush and B`N`B.

YoSteve
08-25-2003, 01:58 AM
this is tire foam protectant not wheel cleaner,

I believe it`s the newer forumla

black can with orange bottom

imported_Jinx1309
08-25-2003, 02:46 AM
I too have used the AA Tire Foam and was very pleased with it. The only thing I dislike is the overspray from it being a foam. Otherwise I never encountered any problems with it.

imported_Luster
08-25-2003, 07:55 AM
AA Tire Foam is a good product. Keeps the sheen, doesn`t sling, doesn`t brown.

I use it in the wheel wells also.

Bill D
08-25-2003, 10:18 AM
Has been a favorite of mine for wheel wells. Nice sheen to it but all the foam tire products I`ve used on the wheel wells tend to attract dust :( So I had to wash and reapply when dust built up too much.

Steve @ Guru
08-25-2003, 11:21 AM
Generally speaking, the newer formulated Armor All products appear to be pretty decent...I was really surprised with how well they worked and looked.

CRXSi90
08-25-2003, 12:12 PM
I have used this product also, and the only things that I don;t like about it are that it is a spray and some overspray gets on the wheels and paint...and that it doesn`t seem to last particularly long. Stoner`s More Shine Less Time for tires is longer lasting, but still in a spray can like the AA. Another product I discovered is Black Magic Tire Wet. It lasts exceptionally long, but is full of solvents and seems to fling some unless you apply it perfectly. Also do to it`s light, oily nature, or maybe just the bottle it is in, it really flys in the air, so it really gets on your paint and wheels.

All these are sprays, and I think I`m stuck with sprays because I don`t know how I would easily get dressings into the "sporty looking" ribs of my tires, or the deep, white letters on my mom`s Jimmy.

Overall, if you clean your tires each time you wash, Stoner`s MSLT might last "weeks, not days".

P.S. the AA tire foam I used was a few years old, so maybe it has improved in durability since.

Black Magic Tire Wet MSDS info...

Fragrance/perfume(s) 000000-00-1 0-5%

Mineral spirits 064741-65-7 50-90%

Silicone resin (unspecified) 999999-46-7 10-50%

Bill D
08-25-2003, 02:27 PM
Nice thing about MSLT if you want an aerosol is ( only aerosol I`m aware of..) it`s availible by the case directly from Stoner

tdsoup
08-28-2003, 06:16 PM
I was considering making a thread of my own just like this when I saw yours.

I got the AA tire foam for xmas a couple years ago in a gift pack. I`ve been using it this summer and always thought it looked pretty good. I haven`t used alot of other products so I wasn`t sure how it compared.

Last week I took the wheels off the WRX so I could clean them. At least that`s what the neighbors thought of their crazy autopian neighbor. :D Actually I was rotating the tires, but giving the rims a good cleaning too. The water was beading right off the tire where the AA stuff was and stayed nice and black afterwards.

:xyxthumbs