PDA

View Full Version : If bad detailing was a crime, I`ve commited a felony.

Sad, little man
08-24-2003, 11:16 AM
Well, after coming to this board and hearing that a natural wax may actually make a car look better if applied over Zaino, I went down to the parts store, and bought a tub of... T... T... Turtle Wax. :o Why on earth would I buy the most basic, mediocre brand of car wax to layer over my heavily polished, Zainoed car? First, I didn`t want to wait over an order of a tub of exotic wax, and I didn`t want to spend the $30-$60 on it. Because let`s face it, a Zainoed car that`s been polished before hand looks very good, and I just don`t think there`s room for a $60 improvement. Ok, so why did I go with Turtle Wax when local parts stores carry plenty of nice brands like Meguair`s and Mothers? Because all those manufacturers had some special feature advertised in their wax that I thought would mess up my Zaino badly. "Removes oxidation," "Carnauba Cleaner wax". Then something on the Turtle Wax label caught my attention. "100% Carnauba wax". Yes!!! That`s what I need, no fancy frills designed to be a cure all for the every day car washing fellow. So going against every fiber in my being, I took the wax off the shelf and read the back of the label. Pure Brazillian wax, etc etc. Ok, fine, $5. And, after it`s all applied, I like the results. I`m not a fine tuned judge of shine, but it surely didn`t make the car any less shiny. And not to mention, the Turtle wax smells great. Reminds me of a vanilla scented candle. The only complaint I have with it is that it seems to leave a streaky, oily haze if not buffed of very well. So, here`s to Turtle Wax. (Erm, to clarify, not the green crap in a bottle, but their Carnauba wax.)

iceman
08-24-2003, 12:25 PM
Not all store bought waxes have polish/cleaners. How about looking for Meguiars #26 or Mothers pure carnauba wax or going to a Harley Davidson dealer for S100 carnauba? Not too pricey (between 12-20 bucks US is my guess) and probably better than the Turtle Wax.

JasonC8301
08-24-2003, 12:38 PM
Sounds like Turtle Wax Emerald series to me. It is a cleaner/wax I think. Oily wax so the smeary haze if you don`t buff well. I think you may have tampered with the Zaino underneath or compromised it. When I go Zaino, no toppers, just Z itself.

I second Iceman, Meguiar`s #26 is a decent wax, S100 also (haven`t used it, but have used P21S, should I say applies and removes almost Souveran like, just lacks that little extra wetness), I`ve been hearing a lot of good things about Mother`s waxes, a real sleeper product.

All the above waxes are in the $10-$15 range. ($10 for #26, think $10 for Mothers, and $15 for S100.)

Sad, little man
08-24-2003, 01:01 PM
Bah, I`m throwin caution to the wind this time. It still shines, the water still beads, I mean there`s not much I can do anymore now that it`s on.

chris0626
08-24-2003, 02:16 PM
Your "confessional" post cracks me up, Sad Little Man. But, yeah, you could do better than TW. Personally, I love the pure Z2 on my white car. If I were gonna top it, I`d use my S100 -- which I got from a local motorcyle shop for under $15. But, frankly, I did not see that it added anything desirable to the Zaino shine. :( And, as Jason said, there are indications that the TW you used may have compromised the Zaino.

BTW, read thru the forums here. There is no such thing as "100% pure carnauba wax" in the detailing-products world. Pure -- truly pure -- carnauba wax has the consistency of candle wax -- NOT something you would want to rub on your car. Everybody starts with "pure" carnauba, but they have to add "stuff" to it to make it work like we want a car wax to work. Often, that means adding petroleum distillates and other stuff to keep it "viscous." Like I said, do some reading and searching here; I can`t remember the details; but I know that my reading convinced me that there`s no such thing as a 100% pure carnauba for cars.

But gotta love your sense of adventure! :D and your self-deprecation. :up

JustinR32
08-24-2003, 05:35 PM
It`s a cleaner wax, the Zaino`s prolly gone, and the world will keep turning. The car looks good, so, mission accomplished.

Next time, do your Z stuff, then use Mother`s California Gold NATURAL Formula. PASTE. Your car will look lots better! (#26 PASTE can be hard to find locally).

Tom

coolie1
08-24-2003, 06:31 PM
hey mosca is the rca plant still open?

Sad, little man
08-24-2003, 07:03 PM
Well, I knew it wasn`t PURE pure carnauba wax, but it gave me the sense that it wasn`t loaded with additives like ones that jumped out and claimed to be cleaner waxes. Oh, and I thought that maybe TW was too crappy to have nice cleaning additives put in it. ;) Meh, Perhaps I`ll dawn it later and start from a clean slate. In any case, yeah, it looks very nice. I doubt the Zaino is 100% gone because I`ve never seen a TW product look like that. :eek:

JasonC8301
08-25-2003, 12:43 AM
Lynn - 100% carnauba is a yellow color (#1 Brazilian) with the consistancy of something like a brick. A candle is part carnauba, not 100% carnauba.

The labeling used by TW states that 100% pure carnauba was used in the wax, not that the wax is 100% carnauba, TW should give you a MSDS and you`ll see the real story, maybe 2-3% carnauba in it (if that), but yeah we used 100% carnauba........

endus
08-25-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by JasonC8301

Lynn - 100% carnauba is a yellow color (#1 Brazilian) with the consistancy of something like a brick. A candle is part carnauba, not 100% carnauba.

This is what I have heard as well...that actual "pure carnuba" is bricklike...totally solid.

To the original poster...I would defiitely stear clear of the cleaner waxes but something like Blitz or s100 or Meguiars or...etc. would probably be better than the turtle wax.