PDA

View Full Version : Pad Mania

Maxtorque02
08-21-2003, 05:40 PM
Ok, I took the plunge and purchased a Porter Cable 7424 about 2 weeks ago at Lowes. I used it to detail my Mustang and instantly fell in love with the results. I used the original polishing pad with the built in backing pad to do the job. They seem to not last real long as I went through one already. I`m now ready to expand and I did a search to help me narrow down my choices. It appears the Lake Country pads are the best to go with, and I was looking at getting two of the yellow and two of the white to start off with. Is this adequate? I don`t have a hook and loop backing pad and I was wondering which is the best way to go, a 5" or 6" hook and loop backing pad, and which brand? My PC currently has the 6" counter weight, so if I go with a 5" backing plate should I get a 5" counterweight. Are 6.5" pads ok, or would I be better off with the 7.5" pads? Where is the best place to get pads at and do Autopia members get any discounts anywhere?:D

I`m looking forward to getting into this even further and going to start on my Navigator this weekend and I might even go as far as detailing my Ford Taurus company car. :eek: Thanks ahead of time for any help, suggestions or recommendations. :xyxthumbs

JasonC8301
08-21-2003, 07:49 PM
Well if you`re PC has a 6 inch counter weight, I would go with a 6 inch backing plate.

www.topoftheline.com $45 for 6 advanced VC Lake Country pads.

I actually prefer the foam cutting and foam polishing 7.5 inch ones, for finishing I use my 6.5 inch black foam finishing.

ultrajim49
08-22-2003, 01:27 AM
Look no further

here`s what you are looking for:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14421

updated july 2003

:wavey

Christiaan

Maxtorque02
08-22-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by cvcaelen

Look no further

here`s what you are looking for:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14421

updated july 2003

:wavey

Christiaan

Thanks. I appreciate the link. I had actually found that same link shortly after I posted and it has a lot of great information. :D

Preachers Sheets
08-22-2003, 09:01 AM
I use the PC concave pads, they are larger so they cover more area, they hold up to washing better and conduct less heat.

weegee
08-22-2003, 12:34 PM
I just asked a bunch of the same questions. Here`s what I found out the hard way, so learn from my expensive lesson.

Order your pads from topoftheline. They have the same pads as CMA and for the price of 4 at CMA, you can get 6 at top.

7.5" with a 6" counterweight and 6 inch velcro back plate seems to be the viewer`s choice for the most part.