PDA

View Full Version : Need help with clearcoat on BBS RCII rims...

TA373
08-21-2003, 11:21 AM
My car came with BBS RC II`s. When I put them away for the winter (and mind you this was waaaaay before I knew anything proper tools and techniques...) I decided to clean them up as much as possiblm.

Well, at the time I thought it was a great idea to use a green scrubby pad on one of them to get the tar off. I know, I know...what the he!! was I thinking? I was thinking that it would get the junk off.

Well, it did. But in the process it scuffed the bajeesus outta the clear coat on the rims. They look noticably hazy and you can see the scuffing easily. The rims are still smooth to the touch tho.

My question is...would any polish help me here, or should I proceed to a shop, get that one rim refinished and be done with it?

Any help would be appreciated...

m.:bow

Accumulator
08-21-2003, 11:43 AM
The clearcoat on BBS wheels is pretty thick. Since you are willing to get them refinished (if necessary) anyhow, I`d go at it with some strong polish/rubbing compound and see if you get lucky. At the worst, you`ll end up getting them refinished anyhow after wasting some time, at best you`ll fix it yourself just fine.

*MY* prediction: you`ll make a BIG improvement, but you won`t quite get them back to factory condition. Probably be something you have trouble deciding on...ALMOST good enough, etc.

MaDAnT26x
08-21-2003, 11:43 AM
If your options are try to polish/compound it yourself, or go straight to a body shop to get them refinished, then why not try to fix them yourself first and see if that works? The polish/compound will not hurt the metal in anyway if you go through the clear coat (metal is harder than paint). I would give it a try, sounds like it will work.

MaDAnT26x
08-21-2003, 11:45 AM
Accumulator, you must have beat me by a second!!! Good advice, same as mine :D

TA373
08-21-2003, 11:47 AM
What polishes would you guys reccomend? 3m? Mags? I`m up to the challenge...a little help on picking some product?

Thanks for the quick responses, by the way...

m.

MaDAnT26x
08-21-2003, 11:55 AM
I would have no idea on the exact product to use, but you could start with the least abrasive product you have and work your way up if you don`t see results. The strongest I`d personally go is probably 3M Medium Cut or DACP.

TA373
08-21-2003, 12:44 PM
Ok, cool, I`ll start maybe with 3m fine cut, I`ll let you guys know the results...

m.:bow

Accumulator
08-21-2003, 05:32 PM
For this one, *I* would start with the FCRC and be prepared to go even coarser. I`m expecting you`ll need something pretty aggressive unless you plan to spend forever and a day on this. FCRC isn`t really all that aggressive. I`m not really familiar with (today`s) more aggressive products; fortunately, I haven`t needed them for the last 20 years.