PDA

View Full Version : compounding and zaino question

Diggs
08-20-2003, 10:38 PM
before i zaino i like to do a lil compounding with 3m perfect it II rubbing compound. i use a PC and use the orange cutting pad. after im done compounding it usually leaves the surface shiny and very smooth leveling off the clear and the scratchs. my questions is can i use meguiars quick detail or do i need to dawn wash again before applying zaino?

p.s. ive searched around and havnt really gotton a blunt answer.

JasonC8301
08-21-2003, 12:07 AM
Dawn it.

Deanski
08-21-2003, 04:18 AM
Yes you MUST remove all oils prior to Zaino. Dawn wash is one way to remove oils. Wash with Dawn, then switch to Z7 wash to remove any lingering oils and to remove any film from Dawn. Dawn get`s into the nook and crannies better in removing the oils.

Or, you can spray with alcohol/water mix.

Which ever way, the finish is then free of oils, and ready for Zaino.

Spray the finish with Z6 and lightly spray your applicator with Z6. I find the foam applicators work well and do not absorb as much as the terry ones.

Here are some tips: Nick`s Zaino Tips (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23601&highlight=Zaino+tips)

Enjoy the Zaino!

Regards,

Deanski

Diggs
08-21-2003, 04:22 AM
would u say z6 is simular and does the same thing as meguiars quick detail spray? also im not polishing after the compound cause i dont get much haze and dullness.

Diggs
08-21-2003, 04:33 AM
my buddy uses the meguiars quick detail like z6 and it seems to do the same thing. comments on that are welcome. also going back to my main question is cause i dont know what exactly is in the rubbing compound im assuming no oils or much that are gonna be left behind to interfer with the bonding of the zaino i may be wrong thats why im asking

ultrajim49
08-21-2003, 05:23 AM
No matter what you use , polish,compound,...

there are oils in there.

So,

Prior to Zaino it is a must to remove them and Dawn wash or the alcohol/water mix is the way to go.

Z6 and Meg`s QD are not the same,

cause in Megs there`s kind of wax in it,

Z6 contains something like Z2(in much less concentration)

You`ve got to understand that Zaino is a system:

it is best to use only Z-products for optimum results,

only so you optain the max durability.

Christiaan

Deanski
08-21-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by cvcaelen

No matter what you use , polish,compound,...

there are oils in there.

So,

Prior to Zaino it is a must to remove them and Dawn wash or the alcohol/water mix is the way to go.

Z6 and Meg`s QD are not the same,

cause in Megs there`s kind of wax in it,

Z6 contains something like Z2(in much less concentration)

You`ve got to understand that Zaino is a system:

it is best to use only Z-products for optimum results,

only so you optain the max durability.

Christiaan

All polishes have some type of oil used for abrasive lubricant. If that is what you ment in your opening. Right after your final polish/glaze, you have to remove those oils. Simple enough. You did point out the Dawn wash or alcohol/water option which is correct.

As for Megs FI, works well AFTER your car is covered in Zaino, as you do not want to use it while you layer. The Z6 is best used just for that. Using it as a QD does get kind of expensive, so go ahead and use the Megs FI now and then. If you need a Zaino fix, break out the Z6!

Regards,

Deanski