PDA

View Full Version : Help,first critical detail

Pages : [1] 2 3

UK2TX
08-19-2003, 11:31 AM
Hi,

new user here :) Great Site BTW.

Ok, just bought a Harley F150 2 Tone (black/silver) 2003.

Am member of other forums and pretty much convinced with Zaino products (daily driver/have no garage to park/store in).

Am planning on,

Dawn wash,

Clay Bar,

Dawn Wash,

Zaino Wash,

Z2/3 with ZFX,

Z6.

Now, reading some posts here PREP. seems the main thing. What do I need to do before Zaino???? I thought Dawn/Clay stripped everything?

Am open to all advise as Zaino will set me back $100+, Ford paint sucks and wanna do best job I can.

Please give me any/all advise suggestions on how to make this beautiful vehicle even more beautiful and stay that way.

Thanks,

Nick

Blue-Sun
08-19-2003, 12:20 PM
You don`t need to dawn wash the car twice, once will do fine.

If you have any swirls or spider webs in the finish (which black shows easily) you might want to try #9 or SMR to remove those.

Other than that, sounds like a good attack plan.

You don`t need Z3 for a clear coat finish like on your truck, so I hope you didn`t buy it.

When you use Z6, treat it like it`s liquid gold, as a little goes a long way, much like most Zaino products.

Oh, and there`s alot of useful information here, try doing searches for information, as it`s been covered about a hundred times before here!

:welcome

and

:showpics

also, here`s a Zaino Manual to read over (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14408)

UK2TX
08-19-2003, 12:31 PM
LOL, thanks Blue-Sun.

Z3 was typo, meant Z5.

Found (for first time) it is recommened to polish before dawn wash to "prep" vehicle. Never heard before this board. What would you recommend?

fidelfs
08-19-2003, 12:43 PM
I just finished my Corvette a week ago and I did not polish before dawn.

2 dawn carwash sounds right because after the clay will need to remove any oil left behind. I am not saying the clay will leave oil.

One trick I did and help me was to spray the car with water using a soft mist (using spray) and look for beads. Then you can spot some wax left over.

Try to see if your truck has small scratches if there are some you should try Z5 one or two layers. When you are happy how it looks you can switch to Z2.

Use Z6 after each Z2 layer. I applied 3 Z2 layers that afternoon.

I was a maq. fanatic but after I changed to Zaino I am not going back.

I will use a combo this weekend. I will wash my car and apply 3 more layers of Z2 and Z6 and then P21S to give a deeper look to my car.

I will keep you posted how this looks.

:cool:

2wheelsx2
08-19-2003, 01:15 PM
By polish, most people here are referring to a swirl remover. Something like DACP if you have heavier swirls, but looking at that picture of your truck in that other thread, you probably don`t need anything like that.

I think a good investment for you would be a PC. If you don`t have one, and don`t want to buy one, I would recommend using Meguiar`s #9. If you have a PC, I would recommend 3M SMR.

If you have absolutely no swirls, then I would just go with a paint cleanser like PPCL, S100/P21S, Mother`s, Meguiar`s, whatever. Most people here like PPCL and S100/P21S

I personally would not Dawn wash twice. After all, all you need to is remove the oils just prior to Z application, not at each stage.

Here`s what I would do:

1) Wash with car soap (any decent car soap)

2) Clay while the car is wet with a car soap (you said it`s outdoors, and a daily driver, so this would be a critical step)

3) Polish with a swirl remover or paint cleaner

4) Dawn wash

Then continue with your Z routine. I am a Klasse user, so I don`t want to comment on the Z routine. I`ll let others do that.

UK2TX
08-19-2003, 01:42 PM
Gary,

excellent! Just the details I was looking for.

Darn, my old (not so pro. routine) used to take me about 6 hrs.! this will be a loooooooong detail LOL. Least after first one it gets alot easier, so am told.

BTW, last ride was a Supercrew 4x4 with 35`s and a 3" lift, hence looooong job lol.

OK, so no swirl remover (few light on black hood is all) but Meg #9 or P21S? Heard alot about P21S, it a better bet than Meg.? or not if light swirls? Thanks for ALL the great advice. Was VERY confuzed there for a while :)

Any clay tips you have? never clayed before (oops :)).

Nick

UK2TX
08-19-2003, 01:49 PM
Gary,

have few swirls on hood (black so theres a surprise lol). have some Meg. #9, how about using that and then some PS21S on top (or somthing similar) before dawn/clay etc.? Good Idea?

Nick

2wheelsx2
08-19-2003, 01:49 PM
If you`re really anal, you can go #9, and P21S. But I would just #9 to remove the light swirls on the hood that you talked about. Make sure you use linear motions, and not circular ones.

P21S is really good, from all that I read (Never tried it, I use Mother`s plus mostly heavy paint cleaners on client cars). Most people say it has great brilliance. However, you are going to Dawn wash all the oils and fillers out anyway, so I wouldn`t bother.

If you haven`t clayed before, look up the claying technique in the learn link above, and do searches. There have been many excellent posts on claying, so I won`t insult those authors by rehashing it all.

But the basics are to use lots of lube (whether car soap or QD) and just glide the clay back and forth until you don`t hear the clay pulling off the contaminants (don`t worry, you`ll KNOW). Make sure you use linear back and forth from front to back motions here also.

Then just wash off the car with car soap. Don`t worry about a smear or 2, as your next cleaning step with #9 will take care of it all.

The clays people here like are Clay Magic, Mother`s, Pinnacle PolyClay, and Z. I have only tried the first two, and like them both.

UK2TX
08-19-2003, 03:09 PM
Gary, you are a star. AM pumped and ready to go now :)

Just have to wait till the 4th Sept. till I get home :(

Will be sure to post pics after the ordeal :)

Nick

BTW "Then just wash off the car with car soap. Don`t worry about a smear or 2, as your next cleaning step with #9 will take care of it all." you mean Dawn right?

Car soap

Clay

Car soap

Meg#9

Dawn

Zaino........ yep?

2wheelsx2
08-19-2003, 03:14 PM
I meant car soap after the clay.

But your sequence is correct. Dawn just before application of Z, so all the oils and fillers are removed.

Yeah, make sure you post those pics. It`d be really cool to see pics of that truck fully detailed.

P.S. I just reread your profile and realized that you`re from Conroe, Tx! Home of one of my heroes! Colin Edwards II, WSC champ from 2002! :bow

fidelfs
08-19-2003, 03:27 PM
Let me correct you about washing twice with Dawn. Most of Zaino users will agree with this.

You have to wash twice with dawn like I did due all the oils left for the dealer before I took the car out of the dealership.

Less oils better Zaino.

Dawn won`t harm you paint. The clear coat will protect against dawn.

Before try the second wash with anything (Dawn or carwash)

Spray water into the car and you will see a lot of water beads. That is indication that you have wax or other oils left over.

Spray with water it will take you 10 seconds but It will make you sure your car is clean without any residue.

JasonC8301
08-19-2003, 03:29 PM
On top of all this good info. The Hall of Fame forum has a good thread on Zaino application.

I would do this to a 2003 new Harley F150 (drools, only seen one or two of these so far, both looked like swirl city and light black paint, not wet and glossy.)

1. Wash car with a regular car wash shampoo (Meguiar`s Gold Class gets my vote, but since you use Zaino, any car shampoo should work (anyone of Meguiars, Mothers, P21S, Eagle One, etc. etc.)

2. Claying, you have several different options, use Z7 with water a as lube (like 1 capful per 20 ounce spray bottle, just plain water from the hose after a wash on a panel, or using a QD such as Z6 or Meguiar`s consumer QD.) *I* always prefer the QD method over the water and wash solution, the clay is just lubed too much with the shampoo mixture and the clay doesn`t make the surface as smooth, the same for the water technique but I use it with Meguiar`s C-2000 overspray clay on beater cars (leaves residue here and there though.) the QD and clay gives me the best combo. I have used Clay Magic (blue good for general use, the red one is abrasive though, will leave haze, so I`ll stick with blue since it is a new car), Mothers (good clay, leaves no marks and a good deal at $13.84 at Wal-mart with a bottle of QD and some cleaner wax for a beater), Zaino Z18 (similar to mother`s, looks the same, performs the same, good clay, I would recommend it if Mother`s or Clay Magic is not available.)

3. I just polish here, why waste a step washing when the residue can be wiped up in spots with soem QD? Saves time too. But if you are really anal, go ahead and wash with Dawn to remove residue from claying IF any.

Make sure the dealer doesn`t prep the car, the F150 should not have any swirls in it to begin with, why let Ford put some in free of charge?

If it does have light swirls, remember to read up on hand techniques of removing swirls, Meguiar`s #9 is something good to start out with.

4. Dawn Wash here (forum stanard is the blue Ultra Dawn, the one without the additives and fancy antibacterial stuff and hand softeners.)

5. Begin Zaino process (from what I see Z2/Z5 with ZFX with Z6 inbetween each coat.)

I recommend 3 coats of Z5 first. See if you like that, supposedly a darker wetter look on darker colored cars (black) but you can try Z2 down the line to see if you like that (brighter look to it, loses some depth.) Personally I use a few coats of Z5 then some of Z2. On lighter colored cars with little to no swirls, I just use Z2.

Its all up to you.

After all this, its easy maintaince. Z6 and Z7 are the two products I go through the most of. Z2/Z5 being right behind that, followed by Z1 and ZFX (either or is fine, I like both and use both for different situations.)

Happy Detailing,

Jason

UK2TX
08-19-2003, 03:51 PM
Thanks one and all!

Dealer did the "Ford Extended Detail" crap (whatever that is) before I even saw the truck!

I actually like to detail. My folks back home have a garage (have had before I was born) so cut my teeth on detailing cars, esp. the new ones that used to be coated in wax uggghhhh. Can still smell T-Cut now LOL). But never used a polymer like Zaino before. All my friends/relatives over here think I am anal/mad but let em. I like to take care of my posessions!

Ford paint is abysmal!!!!!!!!!!!! never seen such crappy work! So paint care to me is my PRIME concern with my baby. My folks have BMW/Mercedes and that there is paint.

When I used to paint some older vehicles I was taught the cellulose way,shadowing panels etc. Since all is now mostly powder/baked, uggghhhh!

As for my baby, I want her to look as fast as she is :)

Interior is far superior to normal Ford pooh (not including SVT`s).Two tone leather (good quality) etc.

Will take lots of pics when done.

BTW. Meg#9 for hood (black swirlies) but what about silver body? another cleaner perhaps?

Nick

2wheelsx2
08-19-2003, 04:37 PM
I would use #9 for the whole truck. It`s pretty mild, so you don`t have to worry about your clearcoat. And you`re not going to be doing this once a month or anything, so the #9 will be no problem at all. The swirls are there in the silver, you probably just can`t see it as easily as on the black, that`s all.

UK2TX
08-19-2003, 04:41 PM
Gary,

your da man.

1. more question LOL

not trying to bug ya`ll! :)

If Meg #9 does not do it to my anal satisfaction, whats the next step for black swirl nirvana by hand?

Nick