PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed with 3M SMR

weegee
08-18-2003, 12:25 PM
I had some minor scratches, I guess you could call them swirls, although I always do everything in straight lines, so I have no idea where they came from????? Maybe left over from the dealer. I`d categorize them as minor and are only noticeable in bright sun from up very close.

Anyway, I got all amped up about doing my routine this weekend. Started off with a good, sudsy wash. Dried the car. Went to work with SMR, by hand. Worked on it for at least 1.5 hours. Applied with terry cloth covered foam pad, vigorously worked into the paint until it hazed over, let sit for about 15 seconds and then wiped off. Not much improvement.

Not only that, but it does leave a hazy look. I was hoping to get away with not having to use a lighter polish or glaze to bring out the shine. But couldn`t be avoided. So I hit it with a coat of GEPC (GOD I love this product). Really brings out the shine and depth. Then topped with Blitz. Looks unbelievable from about 5 steps back.

The car is black so I know it`s tough and I`ll probably have to go out and buy a PC to do a better job, but the SMR didn`t seem to make much of an improvement. Not even 10%. Did I do something wrong? I wasn`t expecting miracles, especially applying by hand, but I was hoping for at least a 50% improvement either through filling or taking off the edge.

Saabman
08-18-2003, 01:17 PM
You really need a PC with both the white and yellow pads. Hand job with SMR is a good way to get tennis elbow.

Carguy has the best info on using the PC with anti-swirl products. Check out his Back to Black (see point #3) article at:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showt...highlight=black

Hazing on a black car is problematic. The PC needs to turn the SMR to dust to leave you with the finish you`re expecting.

Corey Bit Spank
08-18-2003, 01:41 PM
File Not Found

The requested URL was not found on this server.

vapore0n
08-18-2003, 02:12 PM
quite true, I also tried 3M for black cars. By hand is imposible to remove any type of swirls, starts driying and gets too tough by hand. I used a orbital buffer, and it helped a lot. I guess a real PC would help even more. I buffed it to dust as recomended here, but I dont think you need to leave it to dry. After that, 2 AIO, 4 SG, 1 heavy rain. :sosad

Bill D
08-18-2003, 03:24 PM
I have a new black car and recently read a positive review about Einszett`s paint polish ( red can) . I`m considering getting some for future situations like this I`m sure I`ll run into.

weegee
08-18-2003, 04:03 PM
thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure I wasn`t alone. Great, here goes another $150something bucks towards detailing supplies.

Okay, now for the ideas.

Could someone lead me in the right direction.

What sort of PC should I get, what kind of pads, etc. etc. counter weights, etc. etc. It`s all Chinese to me. Again, just to remove some minor swirling. I don`t expect to be a pro at this, so some idiot proof, easy to use stuff would be highly appreciated.

I`m having problems opening up that link as well, so if you could repost that would be awesome.

imported_Intermezzo
08-19-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Bill D

I have a new black car and recently read a positive review about Einszett`s paint polish ( red can) . I`m considering getting some for future situations like this I`m sure I`ll run into.

When it comes to hand applications, the Einszett line seems to be the way to go. Haven`t tried any of their stronger polishes, but I have tried their Metallic polish and it did a great job of removing/filling light marring by hand.

imported_NHBFAN
09-29-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Intermezzo

When it comes to hand applications, the Einszett line seems to be the way to go.

Do you think Einszett has a polish that will remove hard water spots by hand? Where do you buy Einszett products?

Preachers Sheets
09-29-2003, 08:08 PM
Guys, one thing I have found is it doesn`t matter how much hazing is on the surface, just use Klasse AIO and it removes all hazing 100%.

I use Klasse AIO on compounds and polishes. I`ve used this since I`ve been detailing and it will always be part of detailing collection. The product is so useful.

Jesstzn
09-29-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by NHBFAN

Do you think Einszett has a polish that will remove hard water spots by hand? Where do you buy Einszett products?

Call Nick at www.detailerparidise.com for einsett

I am going to order and try the Einzsett Metal Polish next.. I have had great luck with Menzerna polishes but they are pricie..

imported_Intermezzo
09-29-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by NHBFAN

NHB, for light spots that do not require too much leveling, their Paint Polish or even Metallic Polish might work. It all depends on how bad your spots are. For really bad spots that have etched into the clear and will not budge with the lighter polishes, you might have to use their Ultra Paint Polish.

I used my friend`s Einszett. You can get them from the Autopia Store.

Joed, I agree. AIO is also great at "haze removal"......both by hand or by PC. I sort of forgot about this stuff when posting about 1Z. AIO cleaned up some pretty bad `compounding haze` for me in the past with absolutely nothing left over at all. Couldn`t detect a single swirl, even on a black car under the most intense lighting conditions.

jeremyp111
09-30-2003, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by weegee

thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure I wasn`t alone. Great, here goes another $150something bucks towards detailing supplies.

Okay, now for the ideas.

Could someone lead me in the right direction.

What sort of PC should I get, what kind of pads, etc. etc. counter weights, etc. etc. It`s all Chinese to me. Again, just to remove some minor swirling. I don`t expect to be a pro at this, so some idiot proof, easy to use stuff would be highly appreciated.

I`m having problems opening up that link as well, so if you could repost that would be awesome.

You can get the PC from your local Lowes store or better yet, go to topoftheline.com and get the Porter Calbe 7424 Bonus Kit for $119. The bonus kit includes a 6"velcro backing plate and a counterweight. You can go to topoftheline and get the 7.5" Lake Country pads. Get at least 2 of each pad you plan to use. You will be amazed at how well the PC works. Best investment I`ve made so far in my detailing arsenal.

Have fun!

JP

Accumulator
09-30-2003, 11:35 AM
You folks considering the 1Z Metallic Polish (red can) had better buy the Paint Polish (green can) too. The Metallic is SOOOO mild you`re gonna need something stronger for SOMETHING.

Their Ultra is sorta strong, really DOES need a follow up with a milder product (the Paint Polish, for instance), at least when *I* use it.