PDA

View Full Version : Cooking spray on wheels??

vaca222
08-18-2003, 07:59 AM
I was watching some show on Spike TV this weekend (I forgot what...maybe that NOPI show on Saturdays?) and during the "Chick Tip" segment, it was mentioned that you could use a cooking spray like PAM to keep brake dust off of your wheels. Has anyone ever tried this?? Sounds kind of strange!

audio1der
08-18-2003, 08:03 AM
DON`T DO IT.

I sprayed cooking spray on the front of my car this summer in the hope that bugs would`nt stick driving through 3 provinces.

It was an absolute NIGHTMARE to remove.

That was a dumb idea.:nono

imported_Luster
08-18-2003, 08:06 AM
I have friend who coats the front of his bumper and front end of his car with cooking spray for long trips to keep the bugs off.

He claims it works great.

There`s just one problem.

I CAN`T EVEN IMAGINE PUTTING THAT GREASY, OILY STUFF ON MY CAR!!!!

It`s so oily, that dirt will obviously stick to it.

I think what they are saying is that brake dust won`t stick to the wheels, it will stick to the cooking spray and make them easier to wipe off.

Not for me, thanks.:down

everner
08-18-2003, 09:20 AM
Spraying PAM on the wheels won`t help the "Friction Action" of the brakes, any more than spraying Rubber Treatment all over the place. A good coating of a "Poly" wax on the wheels and a good coating of your favorite on the bumpers and body will slow down the brake dust and "inside-out bugs" from sticking. Leave PAM alone in the kitchen...

eclemens
08-18-2003, 10:06 AM
I used to spray inner fender linings and suspension components down with silicone on my ATVs. Mud/grime would then simply rinse off with a pressure washer. Haven`t tried it on a car yet, but I don`t see that it could harm the fender well and suspension (obviously not loading it on the pads/rotor), but I`m not sure what it would do to a wheel. AIO/SG seem to work good...

VV

Blue-Sun
08-18-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by VetteVert

I used to spray inner fender linings and suspension components down with silicone on my ATVs. Mud/grime would then simply rinse off with a pressure washer. Haven`t tried it on a car yet, but I don`t see that it could harm the fender well and suspension (obviously not loading it on the pads/rotor), but I`m not sure what it would do to a wheel. AIO/SG seem to work good...

VV

someone told me about this once. . .have yet to try it on a car though. . .

Bill D
08-18-2003, 10:32 AM
Just made an oily mess loaded with brake dust when I tried it. I would stick to putting a sealant on the wheels and wiping with a damp terry cloth. I`ve also found an old Kozak cloth works well if you want to use a dry cloth. Just have to throw the Kozak cloth away when it gets real dirty.

meGrimlock
08-18-2003, 11:35 AM
A friend of mine does that to his Scout when he goes `wheelin. It helps keep mud from accumulating in his deep wheels. I don`t think it would be too great of an idea to do that to a show car or a daily driver.

Sidebar: Seriously, shows like NOPI Tunervision, Hi-Rev Tuners and Super 2NR TV are what is wrong with the sport-compact scene right now. These cars aren`t about looking good any more, the owners focus on throwing gaudy crap on their cars just to get a sponsorship. I`m not too keen on taking advice from a person who think his/her yellow floormats weigh less than the stock ones, therefore the car is faster. :rolleyes:

billg71
08-20-2003, 09:20 PM
I use 303 on my tires and spray a light coat on the wheel and wipe it right off. Let it soak into the tires for 20-30 minutes and buff off whatever hasn`t absorbed. Tires look great and brake dust washes off with regular car wash soap. Getting the GRC (Georgia Red Clay) off the tires is a different story....

I drive about 800 mi/week and those PG+ pads generate a lot of brake dust... I detail on Sunday and front wheels are black by Tuesday PM. Manufacturer claims "Low Dust formula" and I guess so if you compare it to a Sahara sandstorm........ ;) Anybody got suggestions for lower dust pads for a Blazer?

Bill

Footy
08-20-2003, 11:10 PM
I have never used PAM on my wheels, but I find that the Tire Rack wheel wax makes an excellent, low cholesterol frying medium :D

(Pam, Dawn.... you sure seem to have a lot of ladies involved in detailing in the US...)

YoSteve
08-20-2003, 11:24 PM
Look for Rain-x Wheel protectant if you can find it.

It works like you`d think cooking spray would on wheels :up

slvrshadow94tt
08-23-2003, 03:37 AM
:idea ...............:wall

everner
08-24-2003, 09:14 AM
BG 91, I put on a set of Raybestos Quiet Stop pads. They are a ceramic composition. LOW brake dust!