PDA

View Full Version : starting to detail many peoples cars...

eldawg4100
08-18-2003, 12:23 AM
I need tips from the pros. Me and my friend have a little experience at detailing. We have done a few cars but need better equipment, procedures.

what do you pros normally do? sounds like wash, clay, buff with a compound, then top it off with wax? We have gotten to be very good at interiors, but we have yet to see a HEAVILY soiled carpet to shampoo... Can some post a basic step by step procedure to make most cars look there best

I am also looking for cheap rotary buffers, and some good over the counter products.

right now we have a product called "the rejuvenator" from a detail shop, some ECP protector products, meguiars 26, one step glaze, and various other products.

Can I also have tips on removing OLD tar from the cars... all help would be greatly appreciated

I did one car a few weeks ago, was literally COVERED in tar... some placed 1/4 inch thick but it was new so few hours later, few bottles of turtle wax tar remover it was gone... then buffed with an orbital (all i have :() then put the paint shield overcoat on. looked great! but I know we will have cars with bad scratches and so forth.

SickOfItAll
08-18-2003, 03:56 AM
Don`t skimp on a rotary, if you`re going to buy one - save up, do a few extra cars, and buy a good one from the start - will save headaches in the future. Oh, and don`t practice on customers` cars - go to a body shop, ask for some damaged hoods, most shops have dozens just laying around - take a few home, practice on those. Otherwise you`ll have a very happy customer with some burnt paint because you were trying a new product on their car.

Thomasfl
08-18-2003, 09:28 AM
eldawg4100 you have come to the right place almost every question you asked has been discussed in great detail here before. Check some of the sticky threads, product discussions and reviews and use the search function.

My advise would be replace your weakest products first. For example If you think the tires could look better research some products.

imported_Cujo31
08-18-2003, 09:55 AM
Eldawg,

Im not at the same level as the other Pros here but here is what I do. Ok, well first you have packages? I have a basic package that is:

1) Wash / Dry

2) Clay ( only if needed and yes its extra for the entire car/truck )

3) Machine Polish ( via PC )

4) Sealant

5) Vac interior

6) Dress Tires and trim

Now there is much more you can do from that list. There is still scratch and swirl removing, complete interior detail, compounds, etc .... The others had it right, do NOT skimp on a cheapy rotary. Save up and get either the Makita or DeWalt. I still dont have one ... LOL

I have used many products as well and have come to the conclusion that for me personally Poorboys does what I want for a great price. I can apply it in the sun if I had too and it still comes off very easy. I also have products from AutoMagic, Meguiar`s, Coats, 3M ( which I hate ... too much of a pain in the *** to use. I have the SMRs for light and dark paints and hate them ), Klasse, and a few others. For my APC I use Eimann Fabrik, which I diluted some yesterday for carpets and man they came out great!

You will get many other ideas from these guys.

Good luck buddy.

Cujo