PDA

View Full Version : NON-filling SMR`s

slvrshadow94tt
08-18-2003, 12:01 AM
I`ve spent a great deal of time on the search engine since discovering Autopia and have obtained a wealth of knowledge in doing so. I came across a "list" someone created in one of their posts as to which SMR`s and light polishes were "filling and non-filling". It was a very comprehensive list of the many brands that are being used by everyone here.

I originally discovered that list by accident while looking for info on another topic. Now I CAN`T FIND THAT LIST! Likewise, my search on "SMR" and "FILLING/NON-FILLING" produce more threads than I`m capable of going through in a day!

Would someone repost that list or possibly point me toward the link?

Thanks in advance.

rstype
08-18-2003, 11:43 PM
I know which thread you`re talking about, and I, too, cannot find it. However, nearly all SMR`s including 3M 39009, Meguiar`s SFP/#9, Gluzerna IP/FP, and Einszett PP contain oils and fillers. The mildest non-filling abrasive that I can think of is 3M FI II FM. Your best bet is to carry around a spray bottle full of IPA/water.

Scottwax
08-18-2003, 11:51 PM
My preferrence would be Meguiars Swirl Free. One of my favorite products. :up

TortoiseAWD
08-19-2003, 08:25 AM
3M Perfect-It III Machine Glaze is slightly milder than Finesse-It II, and is "non-filling" (ignore "glaze" in the name; it`s a misnomer).

Tort

slvrshadow94tt
08-19-2003, 02:45 PM
Thanks guys!

I guess I`m going to stick with Meg`s swirl free. I`m going to keep searching for the thread that had the "list". If I find it, I will repost it for anyone else interested.

B-NIS
08-19-2003, 03:30 PM
Here`s a list, don`t know if its the one you`re looking for:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26029&highlight=swirl+remover+list+abrasive

imported_garyo
08-19-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by BW

I know which thread you`re talking about, and I, too, cannot find it. However, nearly all SMR`s including 3M 39009, Meguiar`s SFP/#9, Gluzerna IP/FP, and Einszett PP contain oils and fillers. The mildest non-filling abrasive that I can think of is 3M FI II FM. Your best bet is to carry around a spray bottle full of IPA/water.

I always thought the Menzerna polishes (IP and FP) did not contain any fillers, silicone, oils, etc. They are advertised this way on CMA also.

imported_edschwab1
08-19-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by TortoiseAWD

3M Perfect-It III Machine Glaze is slightly milder than Finesse-It II, and is "non-filling" (ignore "glaze" in the name; it`s a misnomer).

Tort

3m`s definition of a glaze.

From the 3m website

Glaze

A polish that is safe for use on fresh paints. Some glazes contain a mild abrasive that will remove minor surface imperfections. When a glaze with an abrasive is used, it should be followed by application of wax on cured paint or a hand glaze on fresh paint. A glaze also does not contain silicone.

Many terms are misused in the detailing industry.

Eric