PDA

View Full Version : New Liquid Souveran contains cleaners/doesn`t layer?

Pages : [1] 2 3

JustinR32
08-17-2003, 02:16 PM
I got a chance to try this today. 75*, low humidity: perfect.

I applied it according to directions, by hand in a circular motion with a terrycloth applicator, to the hood of my (single stage) red Miata, over top of my #20/#26/Paste Souv. After applying... the applicator had red on it.

Which means to me that it went through the other stuff, including the #20; it doesn`t layer.

I didn`t leave it on, I applied PPCL, then #7 and #20; the #20 is drying right now. I`m kinda disappointed, I expected a non-cleaner product, along the lines of the paste.

I liked the old LS just fine appearancewise; I never tried to layer it. However, out here on the edges of goofyland, non-layerability reduces the usefulness of the product. I mean, who wants something that is easy to use and looks good, but that you can`t obsess about?

Tom

rstype
08-17-2003, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the heads up. It seems like most liquid waxes are not to be used as polymer sealant toppers. Did the old LS make your foam applicator red? Could you tell if the new LS contains abrasives?

Douxebris
08-17-2003, 02:56 PM
I`m going to postulate that it`s the petroleum distillate contained in the liquid, acting as a cleaner.

Jeff Laughhunn

JustinR32
08-17-2003, 03:14 PM
It goes on super-slick, very "waxy", so I`d say, no abrasives. The last time I used LS was on a clear-coated car, and not intended as a topper. I used LS on the red car about a year ago, and I can`t remember if the applicator colored; also, at that time I used it over PS, not #20/#26/PS.

I`d agree, it`s the solvent carrying the wax that`s doing it.

Bumma. Product only good for OPCs (Other People`s Cars).

Tom

imported_phareous
08-17-2003, 11:18 PM
So basically you would have to use a paint cleaner and top with LS and then follow up with other toppings. So no putting LS on top of Klasse AIO for example?

JasonS
08-18-2003, 10:54 AM
:hm

Here`s what I have on my vehicle now-one coat of AIO- two coats of liquid souveran. You must wait at least 24 hours before applying a second coat of liquid souveran. I’m not sure why this is happening, the Liquid Souveran does not contain an abrasive or VOC strong solvents.

rstype
08-18-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by jason@autogeek

You must wait at least 24 hours before applying a second coat of liquid souveran.

And why is that?

:confused:

blackmagicgti
08-18-2003, 12:25 PM
Man, I`ve been layering SG (5 layers now) and I wanted to top it with this but if it takes off all that work then.....

Any others try this?

G Money
08-18-2003, 12:46 PM
I`ve tried the new Liquid Souveran on my car roof and loved it, but I did not try another layer yet.

From what I can gather from the readings about LS is that is is a blend of Carnauba and "new" super German polymers similar to what is used in Blackfire...all in a water soluable base.

It says it was developed and tested in the Florida Keys in a tough, hot environment and it`s durability was quite good.

At $17.99 (password) it seemed like a bargain to try.

I was pleased with it`s ease of use.

JustinR32
08-18-2003, 12:56 PM
I seen what I seen. If the applicator turns red, then it had to go through whatever was there before in order to get red.

LS has always looked great and been easy to use. If the new formula is better on either count, then it`s a winner.

On a clearcoated car, you wouldn`t really know, without doing a chemical analysis, if it layered over a previous product or not

By the same token, my experience is one guy in a driveway, uncontrolled. My LS went through, yours might not. My #20/#26/PS might have been a faulty application. There`s no way to tell.

Do what you think is best. IMO, we need more experimentation. I might not put it over 5 coats of SG :scared , but maybe someone else could try it over #20, or MPPP or one coat of AIO, on a single stage paint.

blackmagicgti
08-18-2003, 02:06 PM
I wonder.

I didnt think about this the first time and I put Zymol Cleaner Wax over 2 Coats of SG. Well, after a week off non stop rain and bugs I noticed that the car didn`t bead at all. I figured that the Zymol wore off but I thought that the Klasse would bead (and it is supposed to last months and not weeks). :nixweiss

Well, realizing that putting a cleaner wax removed the 2 coats of SG, I was ticked and I don`t want the same to happen twice. I forgot that it was a cleaner wax (because it smells sooo good).

Also, yeah on a clearcoated car you can`t tell you removed it all until it`s too late. :mad:

VetteToVair
08-18-2003, 02:42 PM
I just used the new LS for the first time and i can`t say that i noticed any cleaning properties. :confused:

JasonS
08-18-2003, 03:31 PM
BW:

And why is that?

Just like a carnauba wax it needs to cure for certain period of time.

roadchief
08-18-2003, 04:18 PM
i recently recieved the free LS with my order from autogeek.i had a coat of mothers pure carnuba on for about a week. i applied the LS and it went on very easy. removing it , the MF dragged a little so i figure it may have removed the wax. but it did leave a great glossy slick shine so i continued the whole car. i followed with mothers showtime QD and im real happy with the result.i also tried it on a fender on a work truck with nothing at all on it. it went on and came off with ease and the shine seemed just as good as my car. so far i give it a thumbs up, but i will have to wait for a durability test. i also got the MF super kit and i would reccomend it, i used the MF applicator to apply the LS and it seemed nicer than a foam pad with the same nice fabric as the towels.:xyxthumbs . i also got a free sample of the pinnacle shampoo ,ill let you know how that is when i get to it. i can say that the customer service from auto geek was first rate and i wouldn`t hesitate to order again.

blackmagicgti
08-18-2003, 04:27 PM
So then does the new LS have some sort of cleaning properties? I figured it would be okay to put on top since it`s not listed as a Cleaner Wax.

Anybody with a synthetic base try the new LS?