PDA

View Full Version : buying products online vs local

III
08-28-2004, 02:25 PM
I just was curious if people feel that the majority of the time products bought online are usually better? Take microfiber for example. We all know that more and more stores are carrying this now, but in my opinion the majority of these towels are for grunt work like door jambs, undercarriage, etc. I`ve had problems like too much linting and scratching from these towels. To get better towels I buy online. I`m talking about stores such as walmart, target, costco, autozone, etc.

Besides microfiber, what about products in general? I mean why do people pay $50-$60 bucks plus shipping for a can of souveran when they can go to a local store and buy megs, mothers, turtle wax, or whatever for a bunch less? This is what I`m talking about. Do people think that the products online are that much better?

I for one would love to see more of a product selection in local stores. Poorboy`s, Pinnacle, Blackfire, S100, P21S, Wolfgang, Einszett, Sonus, etc.

rabbi
08-28-2004, 02:46 PM
I obviously think the on line products are better as these are the ones I am buying.

AMDin93103
08-28-2004, 05:51 PM
As silly as this is to me, there are still people who don`t use the internet for shopping. . if at all! Yes, theat group is growing smaller but they are out there. Also, joe consumer doesn`t plan a week in advance to wax his car, he has the idea rolling around in the back of his head along with getting a haircut and cleaning out the rain gutters. It`s a matter of convenience. Driving down to Pep Boys and getting whats on sale or has a cool tin is easier than waiting for your wax to ship from from Florida. Not only are the majority of the products I purchase online better than those found in a retail establishment, they are specialized towards something specific I am trying to acomplish. The benefits of one product are usually different than the next. The 7 topping waxes I own all look different on certain colors and the application and/or durrability varies greatly. . . thats just wax. Everytime I buy an auto care product I am looking to fill a whole in my artillary, joe consumer is trying to make water bead for a few months. JMO though.

jaybs02
08-28-2004, 08:52 PM
there was a thread a few days ago regarding this
Read .. going mainstream (http://www.detailcity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6382)

look at it this way...
You walk into pep boy`s or wally world
someone will look at the TW and look @ Meg`s #26
they look at the price...

Most people don`t want to spend $15-$60 on wax they want to spend $5-$10...And if it don`t sell they don`t want it on their shelves. Thats just business.

It may not be hurt if some of these products showed up on shelves of "Car boutiques" or "Speed shops" at least there people are already spending alot of money on there cars.

JMHO

"J"

NYV6Coupe
08-28-2004, 09:15 PM
My local Wal-Mart does not carry any of the NXT product line while a Wal-Mart 14 miles away cannot keep NXT wax on the shelf at $13.26.

My local Wal-Mart is kind of rural while the store 14 miles away is in a far more affluent area. People around here won`t pay $13.26 for NXT, and they won`t even pay $7 or $8 for the next TurtleWax product in the green container.

I`d like to see PB & other boutique type products locally but what retailer is going to dedicate that much shelf space to products that won`t turnover rapidly.

Jngrbrdman
08-28-2004, 09:31 PM
There are things that I am just not going to find on the shelf at PepBoys. There are products out there that are excellent and are kept affordable by the fact that they don`t need high advertising budgets. I am a little familiar with what it takes to get a product on the shelf at AutoZone. Its not cheap to have a product like that. I prefer using products that are affordable and better than anything else on the shelf most of the time. If S100 was to advertise as much as Zymol does then it too would be a $500 wax probably. Its kind of like how those little burger joints that nobody else knows about make burgers that are a million times better than anything Burger King ever even thought about making.

III
08-28-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by jaybs95
there was a thread a few days ago regarding this
Read .. going mainstream (http://www.detailcity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6382)
"J"

Thanks for the link. Didn`t know it was there.