PDA

View Full Version : What should I buy from Autozone & others to detail my car this weekend?

gozgo
08-15-2003, 02:36 PM
Hello everyone! :wavey I was referred to this site by one of the post on www.twinturbo.net.

I know you guys use a lot of different products and from what I can tell, most of them are ordered over the net. Well, I haven`t driven my 94 300zx in a while because I needed a part. That part should be here today and I plan on installing it this evening. I really want to detail my car THIS weekend, so that`s why I`m asking for a product "system" recommendation from Autozone, Pep Boys, Walmart, or where ever so that I can do something this weekend! Before I run out of these products, I think I am going to try the Zaino system.

I would like a good product(s) to clean/prep the paint:

Polish:

Seal:

Wax:

I believe I have this in the right order. PLease offer your recommendations!

Thanks in advance!

Bill D
08-15-2003, 02:58 PM
Welcome to Autopia Gozgo! :welcome

First paint protection system that comes to mind that should be availble in Pep Boys is Mothers. You can get a cleaner, polish, sealant and wax all in one shot. The Billet metalpolish is top of the line too.

For what it`s worth ( long..)Here is what I purchase from these stores:

The Autozone near me doesn`t have a very good selction of detailing stuff other than Meguiars Gold Class Soap which I buy by the gallon in target

From Pep Boys i buy 3m Imperial Hand Glaze, Fine Cut Rubbing Compound and Swirl Mark remover, some of the Meguiars equivalents are there as well . I used to use Liquid Glass sealant as well. Oxo wheel brushes. Stoner Tarminator.

From Walmart I buy Eurow sheepskin wash mits, Rain X,Meg`s Quick Detailer, you could get Meguiars scratch X there , A california car duster, water blade and the Absorber if you want, don`t forget a big pail, I found one in the paint section, Meguiar`s foam pads, Viking brushes, 3m Adhesive and Tar remover

( probably left some things out too)

Other items I get at a local auto paint supply store or detailing store, the Harley D dealer for s100 items and online for other stuff like microfiber towels and sealants like Klasse.

Enjoy your detailing!

gozgo
08-15-2003, 03:02 PM
Thanks a lot! Very helpful Information! :xyxthumbs

BA_Titan
08-15-2003, 03:06 PM
Gozo... Thanks for the PICS..... Almost as nice a car detailed by Scottwax! :eek:

Bill D
08-15-2003, 03:11 PM
glad my gf isn`t around! LOL!

weegee
08-15-2003, 03:53 PM
yeah, I would agree Pep Boys will give you a few more options.

Good car wash. Probably Meguiars Gold Class. Sheepskin wash mit or something similar. Stay away from sponges.

I`d go with 3M Swirl Mark Remover if you`ve got some minor scratches. If available, 3M Imperial Hand Glaze is milder if your finish isn`t too scraped up. If you need something mild, but they don`t have the IHG, you can go with Meguiars #7. If you end up using the SMR, I`ve heard (about to find out myself this weekend) that it could use a pure polish afterward to bring out the shine. That`s where the IHG or #7 can come in handy.

After this step, you need a good wax or sealant. Meguiars #26 is a little bit of both. I used it religiously until I got hooked onto Blitz (which you can`t buy at Pep Boys). But #26 is really good.

Of course you`ll need applicators, towels, etc. Pep boys doesn`t have a great selection, but they do have microfiber if you want to go that route. If you`re an old school kind of guy, I`d suggest getting terry cloth towel and flannel rags for finishing at Target. Much cheaper than any automative store. They also sell terry cloth covered foam applicators. You can usually get double the amount for the same price at Target (towels, applicators, etc.)

I love using microfiber towels on my windows. Works brilliantly. Pick up a bottle of window cleaner, preferably ammonia free in case you have tints.

As for tire dressing, that`s tough over the counter. Try to pick something out without silicone.

Good luck. Remember to do everything in straight lines, not the old "Wax on, wax off" routine.

chris0626
08-16-2003, 12:30 AM
gozgo, please check your PMs. We have guidelines about the content in signatures, and yours doesn`t conform to Autopia House Rules. Thanks!

-- Lynn, the new Signature Sheriff

kbshadow
08-16-2003, 12:37 AM
I found that one of the most important steps is a clay bar.

I have had great luck with mothers clay bar.

Bob

Stockton Ca

Beason
08-16-2003, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by Lynn

gozgo, please check your PMs. We have guidelines about the content in signatures, and yours doesn`t conform to Autopia House Rules. Thanks!

-- Lynn, the new Signature Sheriff :( Does he have too?

LouisanaJeeper
08-16-2003, 03:59 AM
mother`s 3 phase + clay bar-- Pep Boys

Zymol Auto Wash-- Auto Zone

get some wash mits and stuff to apply the wax too

Accumulator
08-16-2003, 11:03 AM
gozgo- I may be too late in posting this, but if you call paint stores and autobody supply places you can usually find 3M and Meguiar`s pro-line products. For things like polishes, etc. these are a great way to go. 3M`s PI-III MG is *MY* choice for removing swirls, minimizing scratches, etc. by hand or PC.

For your stop-gap measure (that`s how it sounds to me, as you`re considering Zaino) the Mother`s clay kit is good, what with clay, lube, and cleaner wax in one package. And yes, the clay really IS something you`ll want to do.

You`re not gonna go wrong with the various "kits" from Mother`s. BTW, their VP of sales (Forrest) posts here...real stand-up guy.