PDA

View Full Version : Is it necessary to AIO after clay or just SG?

lpandroc
08-14-2003, 07:40 PM
Hi everyone ...have not detailed in 2 weeks or so due to rain everyday...but hood is filthy and bombarded with road grime and fallout crap...if i re-clay do I have to go thru the AIO/SG process or does clay leave the SG...therefore I can just layer more?...thanks..lance

Jngrbrdman
08-14-2003, 07:54 PM
The clay will more than likely require you to reapply it in some places. If you are going to go through the work of claying your car then you might as well AIO and SG while you are at it. AIO is more than just a cleaner. it is also a base for the SG to bond to. SG is much easier to work with if you have the AIO down first. Its not absolutely necessary though.

Patrick
08-14-2003, 10:53 PM
I would have to say its is absolutely necessary, unless maybe the cars is new....Polishes and cleaners remove dead paint, light scratches and swirls. This is particularly important when using synthetics, as Anthony said, some work more efficiently with there production partner, i.e. Klasse Twins, Blackfire, Platinum.....These products dont contain cleaning compounds, and/or if any, its very very minute. Clays do remove contaminants, however, it does nothing to renourish the paint. A good example of this is 3M`s Swirl Mark Remover. You could consider it a light to med cut, which also has light filling capabilities. Its unbelievable how it rejuvinates the paint. And Im not just talking about light swirl removal, it actually makes the paint come alive again. There are other products that do the same, Im just familiar more so with 3M`s SMR. I wouldnt even consider using a synthetic without polishing 1st. Even if it was a brand freeeeekin new paint surface. (But thats my method of madness)

Accumulator
08-15-2003, 11:56 AM
lpandroc- Whether or not you`ll need to redo your Klasse will depend on how aggressively you have to clay. IF the contaminants have made it through your Sg to the paint (that, IMO, is a BIG "if), then yep, redo it using AIO first.

I`m a broken record on this (and everyone`s experiences can differ, etc.), but I spot-clay with EVERY wash. I don`t re-Klasse my vehicles from scratch (as in AIO, then SG) more than once a year. I just add layer of SG every few months, if at all. I don`t ever cut through ALL the SG when I clay, so I don`t have to start over with the AIO. But when I DO start over, I would never skip the AIO step.