PDA

View Full Version : einszett on new paint

Ben Z.
08-14-2003, 04:01 PM
Hi-

New to this forum and have a quick question. My car was recently repainted (~4 weeks). It has metallic paint and a clearcoat. I purchased the Einszett kit here, along with some other supplies. I was going to wash, use the metallic polish, then the glanz wax. While searching these forums I found that the glanz contains some silicone and that silicone is reported to be bad for new paint.

Have I waited long enough, or should I just lightly wash and wait some more. Other suggestions?? Car is "garnet red metallic" (kind of a burgandy color).

Thanks a lot, I intend to frequent these forums very often!

Ben

jr weeks
08-14-2003, 06:52 PM
Personally, i`d wait about 2-3 months before you apply anything with silicone in it. That is the general caution on it in the industry, just to be safe. Your paint is still solvent off gassing to some extent and any wax or silicone would interfere with the off gassing. You don`t want to inhibit the solvent release or you`ll risk die-back/dulling.

You can apply body shop safe products like 3M Imperial Hand Glaze or Meguiar`s #7 etc. or 3M Machine Glaze etc. Basically anything labled "body shop safe" will work for you at the moment.

Enjoy the new paint.

http://members.tccoa.com/onequiksc/resized%20dec%2001%20low%20pro%20side.jpg

imported_Macgirl
08-15-2003, 10:27 AM
From einszett`s website FAQ:

I`ve heard that silicone-based polishes and waxes are bad for paint. Is this true?

This is a long-standing myth that has circulated among everyday folks and professionals that proves to be unfounded. Since there is much concern as to whether silicone is good or bad we felt the need to confirm this information with BASF: the parent company of Germany`s leading paint brand Glasurit GmbH. Glasurit is used by the majority of European car manufacturers from Volkswagen to BMW to Jaguar.

Silicone-based products are only harmful to new paintwork that is between 60-90 days old. During this period, fresh paint is still releasing solvents. This process is termed "off-gassing". The silicone in silicone-based polishes and waxes will clog the pores of the paint preventing solvents from releasing properly. This in turn prevents the paint from curing (drying) properly and achieving full gloss and depth of color. For this reason, einszett offers silicone-free polish and wax in their Pro-Line of products for use by paint shop professionals. So unless your paint is new, take advantage of the enhanced appearance and results high quality silicone produces on your paintwork. If you still have a concern, feel free to contact BASF`s technical support at 1.800.825.3000.

Note: Keep in mind that in addition to avoiding silicone-based products on fresh paint, also avoid using polymer sealants which contain acrylic. Since polymer sealants produce a semi-permanent coating, concern runs higher if applied on curing paint.

You might check with the body shop that worked on your car, they should be able to recommend a product or provide you with a wax to use until your 90 days is up.

Good luck!

Ben Z.
08-15-2003, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the advice and extra research. I`m going to wash my car this weeked and then apply some of the "safe" glaze. I`ll probably post some pics. The Einszett shampoo doesn`t have any silicone in it, right? (probably a stupid question)

Ben Z.

imported_Macgirl
08-15-2003, 02:39 PM
I wouldn`t think that there was any silicone in the Exclusiv Shampoo but you could email Michael at 1z to find our for sure, his email is michael@1z-usa.com. They will also give you MSDS sheets if you request. Email him with your questions, he is very helpful and used to frequent this forum a while back