PDA

View Full Version : Quarterly Detail Routine

weegee
08-14-2003, 12:16 PM
I`m planning on doing my routine this weekend. Will probably take me a couple days to finish. Looking for some advice.

1) Dawn Wash

2) Paint Cleaner

3) SMR (maybe 2 coats)

4) GEPC

5) Blitz Wax

Some questions: with 3M SMR, should I apply in straight lines or swirls to help get rid of fine scratches? How long should I wait inbetween putting coats of Blitz and how long should I let it cure for?

I love Blitz but the one little problem I have is it gets hazy a day or two later after the application. I then have to wet the car down and rebuff to get rid of the haze. I guess it`s a german paint thing. 3 coats of Blitz really gives you incredible depth and shine. Can I apply 3 coats say in a 48 hour period or should I space it out more?

P.S. Black car in the california sun. Not a good mix. I plan on rewaxing every other week until my next quarterly routine.

TIA

imported_Greg
08-14-2003, 03:28 PM
Well I will try to take a stab at it. I would suggest after washing is to clay the car. Then I would say that there is really no need for a paint cleaner prior to SMR. SMR really isn`t needed twice because what it doesn`t get out the first time won`t come out the second time. Are you using a machine or by hand? If your paint imperfections are bad, then you might want to step up to a more aggressive polish such as DACP, but these can be hard to work with by hand. After GEPC, I would recommend a paint sealant as Blitz isn`t exactly known for its durability and paint sealants really protect the paint, while Blitz is serving as a sacraficial layer as well as aiding in looking good. A paint sealant would be a good idea especially in the California sun. Good luck.

weegee
08-14-2003, 04:30 PM
all right, thanks. By hand, btw.

What kind of sealant would you recommend after the GEPC? I heard sealants aren`t too friendly on German paints, any opinions?

2wheelsx2
08-14-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by weegee

1) Dawn Wash

2) Paint Cleaner

3) SMR (maybe 2 coats)

4) GEPC

5) Blitz Wax

Greg made some good points. I would second him by saying that you are cleaning the paint 4 times by Dawn, Paint Cleaner, SMR, then GEPC. I would:

1) Wash with carsoap

2) clay

3) SMR (once, unless you are not satisfied with the results)

4) GEPC

5) Sealant

5) Blitz topper

If it`s not a daily driver, you can skip the sealant, and go with a glaze like Mother`s or #7. I would wait at least 24 hours between coats of wax, but there is little or no layering of waxes; you are mostly adding oils, so I would just do 2 coats over 48 to ensure even coverage.

Do the SMR in lines with the direction of the wind going over the car to minimize aggravating swirls.

Hmmm...I just reread your post and you state that it`s a black car in Cali. I would definitely go with a sealant under the wax.

weegee
08-14-2003, 04:34 PM
thanks again. Great forum.

Could you guys recommend a good sealant. That`s a new concept to me. Just think, only 6 months ago, I didn`t know the difference between wax and polish and had no idea what paint cleaner or clay bar was : )

2wheelsx2
08-14-2003, 04:47 PM
I have personally tried Platinum, #20 (Meguiar`s) and Klasse.

Klasse lasts the longest, is the most expensive of the three, and is the most finicky to use.

There seems to be a recent resurgence in the popularity of #20 lately. It`s relatively cheap, and is locally available. Very easy to use, but has cleaners in it. Durabilty is average for a sealant.

Platinum is relatively cheap, between Klasse and #20. Shine is good, durability is average, but is also mail order. It is also very easy to use.

You might do a search on "sealants" and see what other opinions are.

weegee
08-14-2003, 04:59 PM
so the cleaners in #20 could potentially wash away the SMR and GEPC?

I`ve heard lots of good things about Klasse except that it`s a PITA to buff off. Is it something you can apply by hand. I also heard that it`s supposed to cure for about a day before applying wax.

2wheelsx2
08-14-2003, 05:11 PM
The way I understand it, at least some of the fillers will be removed. But nobody seems to have a clear answer on it.

I have had some really good results with #20 in the past, but currently use Klasse and Platinum.

With any sealant, you should wait at least 24 hours before topping if you can. Allows for full curing and hardening.

Klasse is not bad, if you follow instructions. Look in the Hall of Fame for Jimwh`s instructions for Klasse and it`ll be a piece of cake.

The things is that Platinum and especially #20 (because of the cleaners) are foolproof.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that one of the reasons that your Blitz may be hazing up could be excessive product combined with insufficient time between coats.

weegee
08-14-2003, 05:44 PM
thanks again. Really helpful.

imported_Greg
08-14-2003, 08:09 PM
I think you are a bit confused from your wording. You do not layer a polish. It does not accumulate and more is not better, it is simply a substance that cleans and remove imperfections from the paint, prepping it for a wax or sealant. Megs. #20, Platinum, Poorboys EX, Klasse, Blackfire, or Zaino are all polymer sealants which will give you increased longevity. The cleaners in #20 might remove some of the oils left behind in SMR and GEPC, but it won`t actually remove the product as there shouldn`t be any SMR left and very little GEPC left which are mainly going to be residual oils.