PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for Rotary Buffer/Polisher

Pages : [1] 2

SVR
08-14-2003, 08:40 AM
Began looking around for a suitable buffer. Saw a couple on the net that might be good. Metabo PE 7 175. 700-2000rpm

Makita #9227C.

As many have mentioned,1000 to 1800 is the preferred speed and so far all i have seen in stores today were 2000rpm only

I`m planning on using 3M superbuff foam pads and may try wool but not sure if safe on new car paints.

What is the size of these buffing pads and what would be the best size for a machine buffer. seen 6,7,9 and 10 inch buffers so far.

Couldn`t find much searching so hope someone can help

Was briefly taught machine buffing with the persons own buffer and have no knowledge of power tools and the guy taught me the outdated, circular motion style so now must find a pro to properly educate me.

I`m majorly confused

:nixweiss

Anthony O.
08-14-2003, 10:54 AM
SVR,

I use several different rotaries and perhaps one of the best is the DeWalt that you can get a www.topoftheline.com or you can also try...oh man I forgot the name of the place but it is an on-line tool warehouse store...come on Autopians help me out here...

The Metabo is a great polisher also but for price you just can`t beat the DeWalt.

As for pads I never use a pad larger than the 7in pads because you have more control with smaller pads, less sling and fewer incidents of "Opps, did I just burn the tail light lens?!"

I also use the Lake Country pads because.........well just because!

Hope the helps,

Anthony

imported_Greg
08-14-2003, 03:21 PM
www.harborfreight.com or www.coastaltool.com

Anthony O.
08-14-2003, 06:57 PM
Yeah, that`s them......thanks Greg

BumpersPlus2
08-14-2003, 07:35 PM
Harbor Freight has the dewalt for 149.00 :up

SVR
08-15-2003, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by Anthony Orosco

SVR,

I use several different rotaries and perhaps one of the best is the DeWalt that you can get a www.topoftheline.com or you can also try...oh man I forgot the name of the place but it is an on-line tool warehouse store...come on Autopians help me out here...

The Metabo is a great polisher also but for price you just can`t beat the DeWalt.

As for pads I never use a pad larger than the 7in pads because you have more control with smaller pads, less sling and fewer incidents of "Opps, did I just burn the tail light lens?!"

I also use the Lake Country pads because.........well just because!

Hope the helps,

Anthony

Great, thanks alot. I figured that 7" is definately the limit. Feel sorry for the idiots who are going to buff away with a $29.95 10 inch duel handle buffer. Way too big

Went to EPTS/Gasweld and had a good look around. The metabo is $420 and dewalt/makita/hitachi are $370-$390.

Unfortunately no bosch rotaries.

jimmybuffit
08-15-2003, 07:09 AM
Did you look for the FEIN rotary at www.coastaltool.com ?

Expensive, but good tools are.

Made in Germany, my `owner`s manual` is printed in over 20 languages, so they must have substantial worldwide distribution.

Preachers Sheets
08-15-2003, 08:40 AM
Costal Tool screwed me and Showroom Lincoln, HORRIBLE shipping.

Took three weeks to get my order.

BradE
08-15-2003, 09:22 AM
That was Max Tool, Joe. :) And yes, thier shipped sucked.

Mike_Phillips
08-15-2003, 10:11 AM
My personal favorite is this one,

http://www.makita.com/Tools_Item_View.asp?id=694

It`s lightweight and small head come in handy for hours of buffing and working in tight areas. Having the traditional handle that sticks out the side give me excellent control and leverage over the buffer. This is important for delicate work and to help insure you don`t make a mistake.

This one tires the forearm muscles in my left arm when buffing for hours.

http://www.makita.com/Tools_Item_View.asp?id=257

It looks k0oL, but, looks are secondary to performance.

I have a DeWalt also, I don`t like the motor noise, or the large size of the head. This is just a personal preference. The buffer itself works quite nice.

When I go to purchase a new buffer, it will be the Makita #9227CY

My current one has served me well for over a decade, you can read the story behind my Avatar/Buffer here,

http://www.showcargarage.com/mikesavatarstory.html

It needs to have the bearings replaced because they chatter and howl, but it still going...

BradE
08-15-2003, 01:05 PM
The only difference between the Makita 9227CY and the 9227C is the handle. Other than that, they are the same machine.

Mike_Phillips
08-15-2003, 03:01 PM
That was my point. I have both, and prefer the one with the handle that sticks out the side

With your hand positioned to the side you have optimum leverage over the buffer.

With your hand positioned directly over the top of the motor head, you loose the leverage advantage and to make up for this you must use the muscle that runs directly down the top of your forearm.

This is just my opinion, your mileage may vary. When I first got my hands on the model with the curved handle over the top I liked the idea and tried it out. For buffing a small area, it appeared to be no different.

Then, after buffing out a whole car, I noticed that I was having to use this particular muscle more and I had to use more energy to control the buffer.

Now mind you this when I was compounding, then polishing all of a mid-size car, lots of surface area, not just a quick pass or a spot on the hood.

Been there, done that, I would choose the buffer with the handle sticking straight out the side.

YMMV

imported_zenhog
08-15-2003, 09:34 PM
I can`t find a decent price on the 9227cy - harbor or coastal don`t have it. I am leaning towards the side handle too but I`m wondering why Mike things you have more leverage with the side handle, you`d think you have more with your hand directly over the top.

CRaig

topnotchtouch
08-15-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by zenhog

I can`t find a decent price on the 9227cy - harbor or coastal don`t have it. I am leaning towards the side handle too but I`m wondering why Mike things you have more leverage with the side handle, you`d think you have more with your hand directly over the top.

CRaig

It would just seem to me that with your hand on a side handle you would have more control over side to side movement than with your hand over the top of a wrap around handle. I would imagine with your hand on the top of a wrap around handle the buffer would be more likely to kick out and do bad things :) I can only guess though as the only rotary I have any experience with is the DeWalt.

I guess it really just comes down to what feels comfortable to you.

I have been wanting to get a Makita. Are the wrap around and side handles interchangeable if by chance I wanted to try both?

Deanski
08-15-2003, 10:10 PM
I love my Makita 9227C! It`s a 0-3,000 RPM and no-load. Electronics speed control, etc. This is one of the best rotaries out!

You can get one for about $175.00, which is not bad for such a great rotary!

I like the wrap-around handle for control and adding pressure when needed. Works well to control angle of the pad

Regards,

Deanski