PDA

View Full Version : help- scrape on rocker panel

Talus
08-13-2003, 11:17 PM
Just had one of those dumb moments- I was doing some work to the car and I let down the jack without moving some jackstands from near the car and it scrapped off some paint.

I know the normal process of paint touch-up, but this is different, because it is a spot on the rocker panel where VW has applied some sort of a "rock guard" which is a rubbery protectant before it was painted.

Any tips to care for the rubbery part, or can it be repaired as normal? My only concern is that this stuff is very thick.

Talus
08-13-2003, 11:21 PM
close-up all coating is scraped off to primer

Talus
08-13-2003, 11:23 PM
the big picture

imported_phareous
08-13-2003, 11:51 PM
Well its not going to be a perfect match regardless of what you do. Personally I would get some of the touch up paint in a spray bottle and just build it up in layers...but I`m just saying what I would do..I`ve never dealt with a spot that big so perhaps someone else has a better idea

shaf
08-14-2003, 07:40 PM
Maybe try looking into some paintable undercoating type of product. Brush (spray??) it on, and then paint it with touchup paint. Phareous is probably right in that it will not look exactly the same though, especially given the way they spray that coating on.

Talus
08-15-2003, 01:58 AM
I dont really need a perfect match, it`s not like its in a very noticable spot, but I do want the repair to last and at least be the same color. I`m going to go get some paint tomorrow and just use the normal touch-up method.