PDA

View Full Version : Lets say you were only going to get two abrasives for use with a PC...your choice?

CRXSi90
08-13-2003, 10:10 PM
Right. With a small budget, what would be a couple good products to solve most issues. I`m thinking that something more abrasive for fairly heavy swirls and light scratches, and then another product for polishing out the possible haze from that.

These products are for use with a PC. I already have Meguiars Scratch X which seems to be in between really abrasive and really mild, but it seems pretty effective, even by hand. I`m thinking it might suffice for a more abrasive one most of the time. Anyway, including scratch x or not, what would be a versitile combination of products?

Either 3m or Meguiars would be great. It seems like Meguiars usually is less expensive for the same amount of product. I was just checking out Top Of The Line and saw that Hi-Temp Light Cut Swirl Remover is $4.95 for 16 oz or $8.95 for 32 oz. Top of the Line Medium Cut Surface Renewer is $7.95 for 32 oz and 32 oz only. These sound like a great deal, and I might be getting PC pads there soon anyway. If Meguiars or 3M would be a lot better, I could probably swing that though.

Thanks for your guidance! :bow

Kev

JustinR32
08-13-2003, 11:08 PM
DACP and Menzerna FP for me. DACP is really cool, it starts out strong and finishes as mild as you want it to, depending on when you stop; it can be used with a wool cutting pad or foam pad, and if you work it to the end the finish is very clean. The FP then gives it that "smooth as glass" look.

THe hi-temp stuff sounds like it is for rotaries, btw. The PC doesn`t get hot. If you use polishes designed for rotaries with the PC, you run the risk of them never breaking down to finer particles; your finish will be worse than when you started. That`s not to say that they can`t be used, but the amount of extra time you will have to spend working the product to completion negates the reason for using the PC. The additional marring occurs when the user gets tired of working the product and stops too soon. (Mind you, I haven`t actually experienced this, and I myself have purchased product intended for rotary use to use with my own PC, although I haven`t used it yet; however, it is not, by far, one of the only one or two polishes I have, which is what you`re asking.)

But, I`m not at all the most expert here. If I`m wrong, I defer to other opinions.

Tom

imported_Jinx1309
08-13-2003, 11:31 PM
In reference to Hi-Temp`s Light Cut I asked Anthony Orosco about it a while back as he said he uses it on most of the vehicles he does. Below was his reply to me when asking if it could be used with a PC.

"I do use Light Cut on about 90% of the cars I do in some form or fashion either by hand or with a polisher. It works very well with a PC as it does a Cyclo.

Light Cut is more of a chemical cleaner than it is mechanical. The PC, while a great tool, may not have enough power to get Light Cut to produce its best results but it can be used with the PC to remove (not hide) swirls and light scratches.

It puts a nice even tone on the paint and does not leave an oily residue so you can wax right away. I really like the stuff.

Anthony"

If you would have any more questions about it I suggest you PM Anthony.

--Matthew

VetteToVair
08-14-2003, 01:39 AM
That`s easy - DACP and SFP. Both are easy to use, produce great results and are available cheap by the gallon.

TortoiseAWD
08-14-2003, 07:55 AM
3M PIII Fine Cut Rubbing Compound, and 3M PIII Machine Glaze. FCRC for tougher stuff, MG for milder swirls and finishing (in my experience, MG finishes very nicely even though it has enough grunt to take care of mild-to-moderate swirls).

Tort

JoshABI
08-14-2003, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by stanger99

That`s easy - DACP and SFP. Both are easy to use, produce great results and are available cheap by the gallon.

Agreed...though I might have a hard time deciding between SFP or FP.

topnotchtouch
08-14-2003, 08:42 AM
For me it would have to be Meguiars #9 swirl mark remover and #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish.

CRXSi90
08-14-2003, 09:17 AM
Boy, the things that happen while I sleep! :) Thanks Tom (Mosca), I appreciate the info...I think I probably won`t end up going that route, especially since I`ll probably want abrasive polishes which do work in a timely fashion.

I`ll have to look into the other options, but I believe I won`t be going with #9. I`ve read that SFP and #9 are infact different and #9 has more glaze type properites and less abrasive than SFP. Not by much though. ;)

Thanks for the information, I`ll be thinking about my decision. :bounce:

imported_Greg
08-14-2003, 09:17 AM
DACP and SFP- available locally! I`ve always tried to go away from DACP and try new polishes, but it is my favorite as it breaks down so well and leaves a great shine.

rstype
08-14-2003, 11:05 AM
Einszett Paint Polish and P21S SEPC!

Accumulator
08-14-2003, 11:36 AM
I too have used Hi-Temp`s stuff by hand and by random orbital with good results. Good stuff for the $.

But I`d go with TortoiseAWD`s pair. Those two PI-III products work well together and cover most situations.

Scottwax
08-14-2003, 05:31 PM
DACP and SFP. Either or the combination of both can handle 99% of what I see on a regular basis.